Flywheel shafts sprocket and pinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel shafts sprocket and pinion.

Anybody used the pinion and sprocket shafts from Eastern .

Having worked at Eastern many years ago - before it even was 'Eastern', I am somewhat biased. But.... I have recently assembled three early motors, two of them my own. I can say without a doubt that Eastern shafts are no better or worse than Jim's or S&S. All exhibit the same thread roughness and brittle last (outside) thread. However, this has been typical since the 1970's and I've never had any of the Eastern or other shafts become problematic. All also exhibit what I consider to be a loose pinion gear fit on the splines, regardless of what pinion gear you use, including OEM. OCCASIONALLY you get a gear/shaft fit that is the proper light press-fit, but this is a dice-throw and does not happen very often. My plater and I have come up with a proposed cure for this, but I have not tried it yet.

One old problem that Eastern did have was a very slight taper (< 0.0001") on the ground bearing surfaces of their crank pins, but it was so slight that it did not seem to cause rod thrusting and that was remedied years ago. I have used their crank pins many times over the years and they work just fine. This was never a problem on their pinion and sprocket shafts, nor with Jim's or S&S.

I would recommend Eastern pinion and sprocket safts as well as their crank pins as equal to the other big-name manufacturers' shafts.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
    X