1940 el front brake cable oiler position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 el front brake cable oiler position

I have a new old stock front brake cable with the cable oiler 10 inches from the end .(brake hand lever end)
    Is this correct ? if not what is the measurement /

Doesn't appear to be that far away in this picture.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

If it is nos H-D. I wouldn't move it.
      Dave

Comment

The oiler is in a different place depending on if the cable is for speedster or buckhorn bars. It is intended to be at the highest point of the loop to allow oil to drain back both directions. What part # is your cable and what bars are you running?
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
          The oiler is in a different place depending on if the cable is for speedster or buckhorn bars. It is intended to be at the highest point of the loop to allow oil to drain back both directions. What part # is your cable and what bars are you running?
          Robbie
          Robbie...wouldn't that be determined by where you clamped it to the bars. My parts book only shows one listing.

Comment

Most of the NOS cables that show up are military surplus and were for short bars. The old factory replacement was long enough for both and could be trimmed on either end. That sounds like what militaryrider has. I have found that using the long cable on short bars puts the oiler very low on the cable. Note that in Chris's picture it is above the clamp. On short bars that put it below it, where it doesn't belong!
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Gentlemen , I considered cutting back the cable and replacing the Ferrell to reposition the oilier ,however wanted to check if cable to be correct ,I don’t want to destroy a original part .
              The bars I believe to be a set of police bars, I decided to use on this restoration,
              They are drilled on the right to accommodate a light switch, police pursuit lights?
              This location shall be used to switch the running lights; yes I know the running lights have a switch on them.
              I will get My Son to post the pictures tonight , please check back later, Eastern Time.
              Thanks Jim p

Comment

find pictures next post
                Last edited by militaryrider; 12-02-2010, 07:19 PM.

Comment

1940 el front brake cable oiler pictures?

Please note attachment:
                  DSCN0834.jpgDSCN0835.jpg

Comment

1940 el front brake cable oiler pictures?

Please note attachment:
                    DSCN0834.jpg DSCN0835.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X