Service manual 1939 Knucklehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service manual 1939 Knucklehead

Hello, I am new to AMCA and to this forum.

So as my introduction to all of you this is the start.

A long time ago I had a barn find, a 1939 Knucklehead. It took 3 years to get it together and was a bobber. The 39 Knuckle was the best bike I had owned at that time and I had the pleasure of many miles with few problems with the bike.

Sadly in 1977 the bike was stolen from me in Louisiana.

It has been 33 years 3 months and a couple of weeks since the theft. Countless dreams of the bike have gone on (I was psychotically addicted to the bike, not in a bad way mind you, so if your reading this and considering a venture into the workd of these things look out!) and when a freind sent me a link of the recent Cannonball bike run, I again started searching for another bike.

This was after finding 2 bikes, arranging the money, getting the checks and then having the owners back out from the sales because to them it was like loosing their lifes love. Who could blame them?

I found locally another 1939 Knucklehead and it was only miles form where I live!

Made arrangements to inspect the bike, and also arrangements for the money.

Eveything worked out, the bike is in the garage, the tools are out and work is being done to insure the roadworthyness of the bike.

I jokingly say this bake came with a 2 hands warranty. People ask what that is I say take both your hands, reach into your tool box and get the tools you need to do what needs to be done.

I am fortunate as I had years ago built bikes, worked for dealerships and have been trained.

Many of you probablly went a similar route, when the kids came, you put your passion aside, raised your family and when they left, jumped back in. Some of you more fortunate than I maybe kept up with everything all through it and have your shop stocked with the tools, manuals and parts needed to keep you up on 2 wheels.

Yes, this bike is a rider. The people who restored it I care not to mention as a closer look reveals repop and some ill fit parts, some screwy things they did to get it together, then it sat for several years after the resotration and when I found it the bike had 32 miles on it.

When it was started the engine sounded tight like on eshould after a rebuild, the tranny, well, lets just say that after the bikes long sleep I am still in the midst of geting the transmisson and associated parts right. The tank bushing is as loose as a goose, so in this department, if you find my 3rd and 4th somewhere in your shop or parking lot please send it to me as sometimes they are MIA.

No fear, they are there and the transmisson works, it's the thing about loose parts do not make for solid shifting.

It sits now with 111 miles and I am going over the bike with a fine toothcomb to discover what needs to be squared away to keep it on the road without stress of break down.

I am on the hunt for a 1939 Service Manual becuase affter the eyars of an idled memory and not caring to really remember everythign soem thign shave been forgotten, some thigns are coming back but the manual, with it why worry with a memory that is 60 years old?

So I am asking help in who the best source for a 1939 Service Manual would be.

I have Palmers book on the way...yes, I bought the bike without seeing the book..it was a romance, like finding an old willing lover again with this machine.

The don't ask don't tell about the financial side of this bike is in place.

Let's just sya I am in Hawaii, so traveling to find a bike, crating, shipping and then title transfer into Hawaii is a PITA. The pruchase price with that in the calculation for me ended up being a pretty darn good deal, even with the repop parts on it.

It runs, is healthy but as with a bike who was put together, with few miles on it, some things need help and some of the original parts on it require attention but these not in a bad. Way.

WHat is going on now is tightening, take down to repair some stripped threaded holes and work for better fitment of the repop parts until roiginal replacement parts can be found.

Even then, if these are not located, I am not bothered as the bike is fully road worthy so I think I am fortunate to have had it come together not only once, but now a second time.

So if anyone can proivide a tip on where the best source is for a 39 OHV service manual, I would beholding to you for a couple Guiness if you make your way to my part of the world or if I may wander to yours.

Shiney side up!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ricmoran; 10-15-2010, 02:53 PM.

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the raht place.
    The manual you seek is the "1940 to 1947 Service Manual, Knucklehead 61/74 O.H.V., Flathead 74/80 Side Valve."
    It covers everything on the 1936-39 bikes, including the 4-bolt original clutch, if you have it, and the 18-inch wheels, in all the detail that it lavishes on the 1940s models. It was the first service manual Harley published, is all, and that was in 1940. Sent you a PM.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

I'll echo Sargehere and say welcome as well!!! Good to hear that the bike bug bit you again! As far as addictions go it's a pretty good one to have. You may already be pointed in the right direction for a manual but this might be of interest... http://www.cyclepedia.com/official-1...ervice-manual/ Repop parts or not... that's a pretty sweet knuckle you've got there!!!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Genltemen,

Thank you for your replies and kindness in directing me where to get the information needed to help my old mind and fingers with maintaining this bike.

Sargehere, thank you for your PM as that has been replied to.

Here are some more images for those who are interested and thank you again for your replies and pointing me in the right direction.

Aloha!
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi ricmoran, nice machine bet you have great weather there to get out & ride

Comment

ALoha Greg & All,

yes, there are more riding days per year without winter wear than any where else I've ever lived.

The only thing is you go in large circles so many times you have to go back the other way to unwind.

Seriously, we have a mountain road here called Round Top that surpasses the Tail of the Dragon, just in the fact that there traffic is so light there, no heavy trucks dragging trailers and beautiful scenery to boot. Deals Gap is nice has some good views but nothing like Round Top. There are the smae if not more amount of turns over more mileage but through the whole ride there are homes so one has to be careful not to make the residents irate with loud bikes because a good thing can be ruined.

Traffic can be an issue, expecially on these old mils so one does have to be consicious of what the year around heat can do......70 weight!! Know where any Oilzum is at for sale??

If anyone ever makes it over here PM me and we can ride.

Comment

Working...
            X