No announcement yet.

1941 trans case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. A while back we discussed that the earliest trans date plate we had colectivley seen was F 8 on a 1938 trans case.
    I was looking at this trans case which I had set to one side for my 1958 Pan.
    I got this case from a mate a few years ago and to be honest, I only ever thought to look at the date plate and thought "beauty 1958"
    I'm not sure why I havent ever looked at the rest of the case before, but I just realized it had a brass outrigger.
    Then looking at the drive side of the case it has the small front mount boss "Pans had much more metal around the front mount".
    I now realise I have a 1938 trans case with a D 8 date plate.
    Attached Files
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

No boss for the breather. Pre 40.
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Hi Robert.
        I put in the picture to show that it didnt have a breather boss but forgot to describe it. Thanks.
        Regards Steve
        Steve Little
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

Steve thats how I ended up with the 39 I sold. It said 8 in the date code and never once did I look for the breather boss. I realy wanted a 48. O well. Bob l
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Hi Rob.
            I dont think I will get to depressed. I've eneded up with a pretty nice 1938 case by default.
            Its a keeper.
            Regards Steve
            Steve Little
            Australia.
            AMCA member 1950

Comment

Hi all.
              When did the trans cases change from brass to the steel outrigger plug.
              I have a F 5 case.
              Drilled vented boss, small metal around front left trans mount, etc etc and it has a steel outrigger plug.
              Regards Steve
              Steve Little
              Australia.
              AMCA member 1950

Comment

G’day, Steve. I don't know exactly when the insert changed to steel but it seems to be around 1943-44. Photos I have which appear to show a bronze insert are of thirteen different cases with date codes of August 1943 and earlier. The earliest photo example I have which appears to show a steel insert has a May 1944 date code and I’ve posted it below:

Other photos I have which also appear to show a steel insert are of thirty different cases with date codes of December 1944 and later. Eric

Comment

Working...
                X