37/38 Neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37/38 Neck

I am curious what the neck casting hallmark looks like on the early knuckle frames. Can someone post pics?
    Ralph

Hi. The heading you posted says 37/38 neck.
    Maybe your asking for information about the 3rd style neck for 1937 which also ran into part of 1938. This neck has the smaller foundry mark of about 5/16" square and has a number 2 under it.
    The first of these later style 1937 necks with the number 2 revision, had the larger spigot for the 1" tube, but they still had the 7/8 tube sweated in. To achieve this the factory had a sleeve sweated over the end of the smaller 7/8" tube to take it up to the new 1' inch hole. Usually the thin sleeve can be seen sweated over the end of the tube. These frames with this sleeve are pretty rare and my guess is that the new necks with this number 2 revision were coming through from the machine shop with the new, larger spigot that was made for the larger 1" hole and there were still 7/8" tubes to be used... My guess.

The intilialed change to the factory drawing for this new 1" tube was made on 13th of October 1937.

For those of you lucky enough to have any of the Knucklehead frame drawings....I will swap a copy of this Clean, original HD drawing #111-3E (which was first dated 7-10-36 and has revisions through to 3-9-38) for a clear print of any other Big Twin HD frame from 1940 to 1947.

For the people interested in 1936 models, there is a footnote on the drawing that says: XE-801 Supersedes & interchaneable with XE-801E, 111-35B after first 1600 "1936" machines

Unfortunatley there is no reference on the drawing to what that part is.
    Tantalising and interesting one moment but meaningless and useless the next.

Regards Steve
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

Thanks Steve. Can you educate me further on the first two necks? And what does the foundry mark look like?
      I have a frame with the welded brake stay and a replacement neck - I'm trying to determine if the neck I have is appropriate for the frame. If I can get the camera to capture the detail, I'll post a picture after I return home in a few days.
      Ralph

Comment

Hi Ralph.
        First neck for 1937 is the same as 1936. 1/2" Hallmark

Second 1937 neck has a smaller Hallmark....about 17/64"

3rd neck has the number 2 revision under the 17/64" Hallmark

Busy year for the Tool and die department.

I dont have the VIN ranges that correlate with the neck changes....I am still trying to research that.

The foundry mark is DIF.
        This is the insignia of the foundry that was forging the big parts for Harley.
        I have tried to research what foundry it was but havent found it yet. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Regards Steve
        Last edited by Steve Little; 07-15-2010, 12:06 AM. Reason: forgot to add discription of DIF foundry mark
        Steve Little
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

If your trying to work out if you have a 1937 frame, a few points that will help verify it, as follows:
          2" wide upper seat post cross brace.

The front engine mount is brazed to the frame, not electrode welded.

The 2 top tubes from the axle carriers are brazed to the backbone, not electrode welded

Most of 1937 have 7/8" intermediate backbone except the very last "high VIN engine numbers"

Brake crossover tube has the grease fitting hole close to the seat post. (Although Chris Haynes has a annomoly frame that may be in the 37-38 change over period with the grease fitting machined near the brake support)

Brake stay was manufactured with an open end...same as 1936. If the frame or bike ever made its way back to the HD factory, it was fitted with the 1938 welded brake cap as a retrofit.

The seatpost grease nipple hole is machined slightly to the right side and does not have a spot face. The hole was drilled straight into the seat post cluster without a spotface.

Top engine mount/rear tank mount assembly are brazed construction,

Some of the mid year necks were poorly forged on the left side and have deformed stiffning curves on the side of the neck and can have electric welding on the top tank mount to build it up to size. Some dont have part of the serial number and the XE can be missing.

There are few more things but my compulsiveness is starting to show.

Regards Steve
          Steve Little
          Australia.
          AMCA member 1950

Comment

Steve,
            Thanks for all the info. I have attached a photo of my replacement neck. I find no numbers anywhere, and only the foundry hallmark in the web as you can see in the photo. The outside of the square measures ~0.385 inch and the spigot is for 7/8" intermediate backbone.

I assume this is a reproduction neck - do you have any idea when or where it may have been produced?

My frame has the 1" tube, so I think that means I should have a neck with the 2 under the foundry mark to be perfectly correct, and indicates I most likely have a 1938 frame?

Regards,
            Attached Files
            Ralph

Comment

Hi Ralph. The neck is definatly a reproduction and looks like it has not been fully machined. Looks like they forgot to machine the steering dampner locating boss between the downtubes.
              It is not one of mine "RFE".

If you would like to take some pictures of your frame and email them to me I will be able to identify it correctly for you. steve@racefraame.com.au
              My laptop is away getting a warranty replacement CD drive installed, so it might be Tues or Wed before I respond.

Regards Steve
              Steve Little
              Australia.
              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
              X