K&N air filter for original 7" linkert air cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N air filter for original 7" linkert air cleaner

Does anyone know the part number for a K&N air filter that will fit the stock air cleaner housing? And a source?

Thanks.
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

I just bought one from their web site a few week ago. I'll post the number of it later today once I get back home.

My air cleaner is the center screw type and the K&N filter fits perfectly, but I've been told that the K&N doesen't fit a J slot filter very well. Maybe someone else here has heard about that as well.
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

[QUOTE=Ohio-Rider;96622]I just bought one from their web site a few week ago. I'll post the number of it later today once I get back home.

My air cleaner is the center screw type and the K&N filter fits perfectly, but I've been told that the K&N doesen't fit a J slot filter very well. Maybe someone else here has heard about that as well.[/QUOT

Ohio-Rider, You have hit the nail on the head.

Comment

Lonnie, the K&N # is E-2470. The Harley # is 29036-41 TA.....Rod

Comment

K&N filter in J-slot cover

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
          My air cleaner is the center screw type and the K&N filter fits perfectly, but I've been told that the K&N doesen't fit a J slot filter very well. Maybe someone else here has heard about that as well.
          Yep, the K&N fits perfect in the later can with the center screw. I had to get rather "creative" to use the K&N in my J-slot can. I used my belt sander to round-off the outside of the rubber seal to fit the contour of the cover. It required removing a fair amount of material to make it conform to the shape, and you will expose the ends of the wire mesh that are embedded in the rubber. I just sanded as much as nessesary to get the cover to engage the rivits, leave the rubber ribs intact as much as possible on the element, and it will provide enough pressure to keep the cover locked on. It was one of those "hope I don't ruin this" jobs, but it actually turned out well. Could grab a pic if someone wants it.
          Doug.
          Doug McLaughlin #6607
          NorCal, USA

Comment

Doug, Was that an E-2470 you made it fit? I think my lucky little 45 may be getting a new air filter soon. I just don’t see how the brillo pad that is in there now can be stopping much and I love to alter stuff.
            ------------
            Steve
            AMCA #7300

Comment

The brillo pad been stopping stuff for better than 70 years I'm cheap so I run one on my Shovel too

Comment

The brillo pad also needs to be covered in oil.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

clean it with gas , air dry and motor oil Whats a K&N, clean with soap an water, air dry an cover with oil

Comment

Get one from Jerry Greer's Indian eng.I have one on my 47 Indian chief.The Indian j slot air cleaner is the same size as a harley j slot air cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
                      Doug, Was that an E-2470 you made it fit? I think my lucky little 45 may be getting a new air filter soon. I just don’t see how the brillo pad that is in there now can be stopping much and I love to alter stuff.
                      Yeah, it's an E-2470. Took a bit of alteration, but it only took a few minutes on the belt sander. I was worried I was gonna ruin it at first, but it came out OK. Sanded to the ends of the mesh, but it is still solid and air-tight. I like to use K&N's on any engines I care about. Sorry for the crappy pics, I either need a better camera, or the camera needs a better photographer.
                      Doug.
                      Doug McLaughlin #6607
                      NorCal, USA

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                        Lonnie Campbell #9908
                        South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Working...
                        X