Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil

Hello everybody!

We had this thread a couple of weeks ago where I got many recommendations from many of you to fight against my ignorance about oils for engines and gear cases.

We came to the conclusion that for that 70FLH, using a 50 monograde oil for both engine and gear case was quite a good approach.

Now I was trying to put the 47F in running condition and after I got the float from Tom and built the carb, and learning from the last thread, I drained out the 90 valvoline from the gear case and the 15W40 from the engine.

All this said, the question now is obvious: do those recommendations for the 70FLH also apply for the 47F? I am proceeding properly with a 50 in both engine and transmission?

I searched a little bit and I was surprised to find no old thread about this subject. Did I miss one? If not, maybe we should start one to exchange good and bad experience with oils!

Many thanks and kind regards.

Chris.

Oil

Chris,
    In all my old HD's I run HD 60 weight from the HD shop. I run 50 wt Valvoline in my 36 Chief. I know a couple of guys who run the Morris Lubricants as advertised in the club mag. The 60 is a little thick in the cold weather but I have a heated garage and I let it warm up before riding. I run the same oil in the trannys. I figure HD spends millions testing oils and if they sell it and guarantee it, it should work just fine. I haven't had any issues but I'm sure everyone has an opinion!!

Rollo
    AMCA #12766

Comment

Working...
    X