Knucklehead fuel consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knucklehead fuel consumption

Can anyone please tell me what is a realistic gas mileage to expect from a fairly good, standard 47EL? I'm getting 40-45 per Imperial gallon (I'm in the UK), thats about 33-38 per US gall; which seems a bit low. Bike run great and the MPG isn't important - I'd just like to know. Thanks, Ian
    Ian Biddle
    www.f-head.com

From my experience that might be just a little low but still very realistic. My 46 EL out on the road will do in the low 40's - less on short jaunts.

Jerry

Comment

Considering the volumetric efficiency of modern fuels is severely compromised,
      I'd be proud as punch to get 40 mpg!

Jerry must be doing something right.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

MPG

'40 El, 35 +.
        DrSprocket

Comment

At ass hauling speed my 74" Knuck with a 2.2 gallon tank could travel 60 miles on a tank. Your mileage may vary.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

47el knuckle bobber

mine gets 37 mpg and obama gave me a hard time not having a any mufflers!

Comment

I used to get as high as 42 hauling a hack with the old gas, but I don't get that now with the oxygenated fuels and no hack. Cleaner air? I doubt it when I have to richen the mixture to get the same power.

Comment

Ugh - I get only 28 - 30 on my 38 EL....Not sure why it's so low, but I've asked this question before, and many had similar mileage to mine. I thought I read in an old brochure that the El should have gotten about 60 MPG. I wish!

Comment

Gearing and riding habits can have an awful lot to do with fuel milage.
                  Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Conwayde
                    Maybe yours is so low because you actually measured it.
                    Mike

Comment

Ha! Well, I have been calculating it, carefully, since I got it, and it has consistently been in the 27 to 29 MPG range. This is mostly driving back country roads, with some occasional runs up to 55+ MPH when I'm forced to use a highway. I understand gearing could effect it, as do driving habits, and weight of the rider (210 lbs - fat!), and other factors. I asked this question a while back on another forum and most of the respondents, Knuck and Pan riders, had similar results as mine. So, I'm a little surprised to see people getting in the high 30s and 40s, although, I originally thought I would get at least that much too. So, Portagpan, are you saying my results are more realistic and approaching the true MPG of what a Knucklehead should get?

Comment

Yes. This is supposed to be a technical discussion. Not wishful thinking.
                        Mike

Comment

My stock 46FL consistantly hits 45mpg with straight gas, a little less with ethanol added fuel, 41-42mpg. M35TP carb.
                          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Kyle I was hoping you'd jump in and tell these guys. I was going to but didn't want to spoil your show. They did not seem to believe my milage so I had little faith that they would believe your story coming from me. Last year going to the knucklehead reunion I easily got over 40 mpg

Thirty years ago Bill Wilsons' 48 pan regularly hit over 50 mpg whenever we went on rides and we rode together all the time. It had a stock M35 also.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                            X