oil line flare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil line flare

i have buggered up the flare on an oil line on my knuckle head. regular plumbing flare tools make a 90 degree flare, but the flare on these lines is more like 60 degrees. is there a tool that can be used for doing these, and where can one be obtained? i have a lathe and may try making a tool like a swaging tool that just is driven down in the tubing to expand the end . any suggestions?

Rigid model 377 flare tool.

Comment

Larry, we had the same trouble on my '47. I had a Snap-On double flaring tool and Larry Gee had a machinist friend make the correct pieces to use with the Snap-On tool. Perhaps you could do the same if you cannot borrow the Rigid tool mentioned. It is kinda "spendy" to buy such a tool for one use.
      Lonnie Campbell #9908
      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

oil line flare

thanks guys! i'm kind of a tight ass, so i'll try to make something before i spend.

Comment

If I am correct, I believe H-D used an aircraft flare instead of an automotive type. They are listed as 37 degrees. A quick web search turned up tools for aircraft flaring for as little as $99. Don't know about the quality, but may be cheaper than having a machine shop design and produce modified parts for an auto type tool.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
          X