Shop Dope 175-narrow clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Dope 175-narrow clutch

When the pre-40 narrow clutch spring set-up was changed from the 3-1/16X5/8 dia to the 2-7/16X3/4 diameter, what else in the clutch was changed. I know about the push rod and bearing issue, clutch hub locking nut, etc- but what about the clutch assembly itself, everything in the basket.

There is more than one disc set-up for running this clutch, including not only the numbers of friction and steel disc, but their sequence as well. Which version of the sprung disc works best (teeth on the outside edge or no teeth)? If anyone has a recommended set-up that shifts really well- please advize.

Shop Dope 175 may address this topic, but I am missing all but the last page. What is the take away from that issue??? Would someone mail me a copy (if it's worth having) or know where to order just that issue? Thank you!
    Last edited by rustynuts; 01-06-2010, 03:25 PM.

You should also look at Shop Dope # 166, may 6, 1937. I can't scan and post tonight, but if no one else can will try to do so tomorrow.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

wow- thanks!

guess i overlooked that one, but i do have it. so now there's another set-up yet. that's 5 by my count between 36 and 39. i have the so called "cushion" sprung disc shown in 166. and the #13 outer fiber disc. not really sure what the "humped" sprung disc looks like, but i know i don't have it-i think. humped disc sounds like a bad idea anyway.

so, according to SD 166... working from the clutch hub- outwards, as if being assembled, here's my guess-

2481-36 fibre outer friction disc (like the one "discarded")
      2487-36 regular steel disc
      2481-38 lined friction disc
      2487-36 regular steel disc
      lined friction disc
      regular steel disc
      2487-36A new "sprung" steel disc

Anyone running this setup??? And, should these regular steel disc be the later type without the teeth around the inner ring, as says Palmers.

Comment

Working...
      X