Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generators and right cases: Question about right case "generator saddle"

Hello all...I have a question:

My '36 Knucklehead "Hillclimber" right case has the generator saddle removed; I'm assuming when the builder went with a magneto and no need for a generator (obviously no street use for this bike!).

Instead of having a saddle welded back on my Knuck case, can I enlarge the (2) generator mounting holes and use the later 12 volt generator WITHOUT THE NEED OF THE SADDLE?

I'm guessing the later panhead generators using the larger size mounting bolts didn't need the saddle...a pure guess here...so IS THERE ENOUGH MATERIAL ON THE KNUCKLEHEAD RIGHT CASE TO ENLARGE THE GENERATOR MOUNTING BOLT HOLES so I can go with the later model 12 volt generator and forego re-welding a saddle on this Knucklehead case. I noticed the right case on my '66 and '65 have more material around those generator mounting holes than the Knucklehead right case has! Yes, I'm changing over to a 12 volt system. Thanks.

Jim
    Last edited by Bobber59; 12-30-2009, 12:05 AM.

i think you would be better off to rotate the generator 1/2 inch and drill the generator for the 1/4 inch bolts in case someone down the road wants to restore the machine. that way you won't be doing any irreparable damage to the cases and cam cover. just my humble opinion and that's what i do. just did one on my 53 servi-car with a later fan cooled generator

Comment

The saddle is neccesary if you want to get the generator gear lash right. Flat-Happy offered good advice, to preserve your original mount holes. An easier way is to install 1/4-24 helicoils in the 12V gen. They will thread right in to the existing holes.
      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I have the same situation. My 39' Knuckle has the saddle cut off and I'm looking for a piece to reweld back on so I can attach my 32E. If anyone has a piece I can use, let me know!
        Eric Hitzel
        AMCA 14954

Comment

The later generator case hole was smaller in diameter (the opening in the case, not the bolt holes) and the later generators had a protrusion to locate and center in the hole. If you mount any generator in an early case without a saddle, there will be nothing to set the gear mesh, and it could be too tight or too loose.

Comment

this is all true about the gear lash but it is really easy to detect. you can't get it perfect anyway except by trial and error and proper shims. that's why so many are broken off. if you bolt it on and it whines it is too tight. if you bolt it on and it clicks it is too loose. it is really that simple

Comment

Thanks all...I truly appreciate collective thinking from you guys...Mucho gracias!

Knuckjunky.....tough to find saddles right now...slim picking being reproduced at this moment...the two guys I know don't have any in stock. Do you have an old, good-for-nothing pre-'58 case lying around? You might be able to salvage one off it. Or....buy a junk case and salvage one...they aren't going to be cheap when you find a repro saddle anyway!

I think I lean towards grafting a saddle where one belongs....thanks for helping me think thru this, guys!!!

Jim

Comment

We just sent out an oversize saddle to our mold maker and should have saddles available shortly. They will be large enough for any repair as we cut up an old case to make the pattern and they will be able to trim to fit any application. Should be available in about a month.
                Carl
                http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Thanks Carl...where will you make these available? From your web site?

Could you let us know, here, when they are finally available for purchase? Thanks VERY much.

Jim

Comment

I agree Jim, I have had a tough time finding a saddle available lately. Although I would use a right case, it would kill me to cut one up. I always think there may be a bike out there that could use it.

Carl, I will continue to look on your website and follow up with you in a month or so about obtaining a cradle for my case.
                    Eric Hitzel
                    AMCA 14954

Comment

Eric, I agree with you highly! I have a '51 right case that I have looked at "surgically'...it is in pristine condition and although I do not have a use for it at the moment...it just seemed so sacreligious (Sp?) to cut up just to gain the saddle!

...good luck in your search...should I happen upon another, I will keep you in mind. Carl and Matt have done some amazing work, I'm sure you've followed that on their website. Knowing Carl is aware of the need has the very high probability that "saddle" reproduction will in fact happen. Yahoo!!!!

Thanks all! I remain a student on this site!

Jim
                      Last edited by Bobber59; 12-31-2009, 11:47 AM. Reason: added a comment, or two!

Comment

Hey guys, I just got my waxes for the saddle repair piece. HEre are some pics. It is kind of neat to see a saddle off of theright case... I cringed a little bit when I cut the original off of an oem right case even though the case was scrap metal.

A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

good job matt--i have only had to cannibalize one case in my life and when i did it made me sick but i manages to save three sets of cases in the process. then i put it on ebay and someone needed still more from that old case and paid about $58 for it. i only paid $50 in the first place. nice to know i'll never have to do that again

Comment

"Hey guys, I just got my waxes for the saddle repair piece. HEre are some pics. It is kind of neat to see a saddle off of theright case... I cringed a little bit when I cut the original off of an oem right case even though the case was scrap metal."

Looking GREAT Matt! Are you just about ready to put these out to the buying public? Reserve one for me please....

Bobber59

Comment

Working...
                            X