Cycleray questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycleray questions

I have several versions of the Cycleray headlight in both brass and steel and don't know what versions are for what years. I understand all the brass buckets were chromed from the factory and the steel buckets were painted. Is the ealiest type the one without a ground rivet or screw and what years does this light cover? I'm assuming the next type would be the one with the ground rivet near the edge of the bucket next to the terminal block. What years is this correct for? Then there is the type with a ground screw between the mounting stud and the point of the bucket. I've been told this was for later WLA but I'm not sure. Have one bucket with Guide in block letters rather than script and the ground rivet. Have several bikes in various stages and I'm trying to sort out this headlight thing, a '40 EL, a '47 fL, and a '48 FL. Tried to post this earlier in Knuckleheads and somehow ended up in American, other. thanks-Bob

First lights had only two wires. Hence no ground screw or rivit. War production models got the third wire, a ground and thus the hole for the round wire. Very late buckets have the wire rivited to the bucket. How late? 125cc? I don't know for sure.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Beginning in 1943, a ground wire was added to the Cycle-Ray's bulb socket. At first the ground wire was attached to the body by a screw just below the logo in the back. The screw was replaced by a rivet and the attaching location moved to the shell's bottom edge just right of center during the production of the late-1948 models.

Then there is how the name GUIDE is stamped into the shell. 1950 and earlier, the word GUIDE is stamped in script letters. 1951 and later the word GUIDE is stamped in block letters.

Another thing to consider, if the socket went bad on a pre-1943 Cycle-Ray and was replaced with a later socket, either the ground wire was clipped off or the body was drilled with a ground hole. In case the ground hole was added it could have been added anywhere the owner of the drill wanted.
      Bruce Palmer III
      AMCA #667

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson

How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
        First lights had only two wires. Hence no ground screw or rivit. War production models got the third wire, a ground and thus the hole for the round wire. Very late buckets have the wire rivited to the bucket. How late? 125cc? I don't know for sure.
        Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
        X