No announcement yet.

lightened cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an original 450 Sifton cam dated 6/72 and clearly marked 450 (along with the matching idler gear) and it has a full width pressed on gear with no lightening holes. I have had it since the '70s. It doesn't look like yours!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I hear you!

Rub.....I really have no reason to doubt what the builders says on the origin of the cam...he claims it's Sifton and he's the builder...but I do believe it has been magnificantly modified to look as it does now! I'm just in awe at the workmanship it took to make this "sifton" look so much like an original "lightened" gear with the exception of the keyway and at .445 (my measurement!) ...it could very well be .450 as you say, accounting for my inexperienced use of Vernier's....but it sure looks new enough to be of modern vintage "something or other"

D-Mac...I spoke to BOTH the builder AND the Seller. The Seller bought it from the Builder and it sat with the 61 Knuck motor in a VL frame. The Seller had the builder remove this Knuck from the VL frame and had him install a VL motor in it's rightful place ("righful" would have been to keep the knuck in it if you ask me...especially if it came out of a museum!).... I got the Knuck motor when the Seller had no use for it after the VL frame sported the newly installed VL motor....personally I didn't get the origin of the VL hillclimber that cradled this knuck motor when I spoke to the Builder so I'm going on the assumed truthfullness of the Seller that Vince once had this Hillclimber in his museum..I sure would like to ask Vince about it! Thanks for your info, though...I appreciate that!

Jim

Comment

strange cam...

I believe for sure this is Sifton or possibly a leineweber cam with a modified gear. These are made with a keyed pressed on gear. The early knuckle cams was one piece and had a hollow shaft and a plug at the outer cam bushing journal. I have been told the earliest lightning cams didn't have this plug in order to help lublicate the bush with crancase oil mist. The gear has most likely been modifed to look like and older style cam. This cam has has holes for lathe centers as all modern cams have.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobber59 View Post
          I sure would like to ask Vince about it! Thanks for your info, though...I appreciate that!

Jim
          Vince Martinico's number from the club roster (530) 823-7870
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Factoryno3 for that info...I do believe you on the money on this one....my same conclusion after some research. Thanks for backing up my suspecion.

Chris...MUCH APPRECIATED!

Comment

Working...
            X