No announcement yet.

1947 tail light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok Bob---many Thanks I JUST LOOKED AT THE TWO WIDE BRACED FENDERS I HAVE LEFT AND ONE HAS THE HOLE FOR THE CONDUIT AND ONE DOES NOT

Comment

These two shots were posted by Chris on another post of mine Springer shock parts. I have to figure that one is a 47 with no neck lock and the other a 48. Bob
      Attached Files
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

cool man good info---i think i mentioned in a previous post that while in davenport i looked at 2 47's waiting to be judged one with the terminal and one without. i'd sure like to see the judging sheets on them

Comment

Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
          thank you bob---then if we can get the answer to one more question we can close this thread---do the judges concur with our findings? if so then a 47 should have no writing and have points deducted it it does and a 48 should have the writing and have points deducted if they do not. that seems to be the evidence supported by the great photos you and chris have posted. and i guess the lower horn bracket terminal is also 48 only? i think it might be a good time to print a book on each year showing what is correct and what the finish is for each part and each chrome group. i think they could be in paperback form to keep costs down or even on dvd only. books are obsolete now anyway. thanks to all
          I don't agree that this is a fact. I do think it is a possibility but the 1947 photo is of a prototype showing several things that never saw production. One it the license plate bracket, two is the black screws. Guide could have missed the stamping step in part of the production also there is evidence of several molds being used as shown by the different ribs on the back.

Comment

I have an original paint 47 WL, very early VIN, and the tail light has the GUIDE RH 5 stamping. The lens also has Harley-Davidson and guide lettering as well--Michael 6671

Comment

alright guys---this is just the kind of stuff i've been looking for. i hope everyone checks their machine and posts the evidence here. the last thing i want to do is leave behind errant information. we all know that many so called prototype photos contain retouched photos from the previous year and do not reflect what made it into production. i personally think this is a great example of that. keep it coming and thank you

Comment

alright guys---this is just the kind of stuff i've been looking for. i hope everyone checks their machine and posts the evidence here. the last thing i want to do is leave behind errant information. we all know that many so called prototype photos contain retouched photos from the previous year and do not reflect what made it into production. i personally think this is a great example of that. keep it coming and thank you
                None of the photos I posted were retouched. There was the one 1948 that did have the GUIDE on it if you remember. I am sure many different molds were used. The PROTOTYPE 1947 with the black screws also has a license plate bracket that didn't go into production.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

please don't take this personal chris---a photograph retouched or not is still a photograph. i respect you and all your contributions as a collector of fine photos and bikes but a photo won't stand up to hard evidence. there are still many original paint 47's and 48's out there with very low miles on them. in my opinion those bikes stand as the best proof of what is fact. that's why they are so valuable both as history and monetarily. i have always believed the there are many changes that were made before the end of a production year and sometimes a month or two after the beginning of a new production year. i know it is just an opinion but i have formed that opinion by looking at many details over the many years that this has been my passion and hobby. ever since i discovered many years ago that the factory frequently retouched photographs as a cost saver i stopped relying on them. you just can't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.----so who is going to be the first to say the "opinions are like a--holes" crap like some 12 year old kid??

Comment

chris is that the whole picture of the 48 prototype is is there a longer version that shows the hinge? thank you

Comment

I have what I believe is an all original 47 FL in the 10 000 Serial number range and the tail light has the GUIDE RH 5 stamping.
                      Eric
                      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                      Eric MATHIEU @ Beauty of Speed
                      www.beautyofspeed.com
                      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Comment

thank you eric---so far i have one in the 2100 range one in the 5500 range and yours all with the stamping on the housing----looking for earlier if possible

Comment

chris is that the whole picture of the 48 prototype is is there a longer version that shows the hinge? thank you
                          "a photograph retouched or not is still a photograph. i respect you and all your contributions as a collector of fine photos and bikes but a photo won't stand up to hard evidence."

Yes there is. But I know you don't have any faith in my photographs so I won't bother you by posting it.
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by Eric MATHIEU View Post
                            I have what I believe is an all original 47 FL in the 10 000 Serial number range and the tail light has the GUIDE RH 5 stamping.
                            Eric
                            Eric,
                            It is not a stamping. The GUIDE marking is cast into the body.
                            Be sure to visit;

Comment

Be sure to visit;

Comment

chris why do you always have to get your panties in a wadd?? i have a lot of faith in your photographs. i used to be registered on you site that you always post a link to but got kicked off so i never re registered.. this whole thread is not any type of attack on you or your knowledge or your photos. we are all very lucky to have you but dam man you could be a little more civil. i try to add a little sense of humor with some of my posts. you take it as offensive. i guess that's why you sent me a personal email asking me "why all the wise cracks?". and i tried to apologize as graciously as possible knowing you must have taken something i said out of context because i never make wisecracks to people i don't know or don't have a sense of humor. for god's sake lighten up man i'm just trying to find the truth about a tail light that i knew little to nothing about. thank you for posting the long view of the picture you said is marked 48 prototype. that sure looks like a 47 hinge to me with three barrels on top and 2 on bottom
                                Last edited by flat-happy; 09-14-2009, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X