1947 UU frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve,

Thanks, you have a pm here with my email address.

George
    George Greer
    AMCA # 3370

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
      I cannot comment on the springers after the fact but they definitely seemed to forget about the 40 to 41 split on frames. Frames are listed as 1936 to mid 1946 and later 46 and 47. By 1957 frames are listed as 1940 to early 1954 (47000-40A) then they list later 54 to 1957 (47003-54) which in turn gets superceded by 47003-54A. If you take 47000-40A into an earlier book it is listed as 1936 to 1950. I often wondered what the difference was between 47003-54 and 47003-54A. By the 1960's there is an entry that just says to call the factory for availability.

Jerry
      The "Confidental Parts and Accessory Special Net Price List" of October 20, 1961 still shows 47000-40A frame for 89 US dollars (list 133.00). Better deal on other parts, though. On the cover of the book: "All parts not listed herin carry 50% discount".

Steve L, are you planning to do the late 47 frame in the future?

Regards Fiskis
      AMCA #2124

Comment

On the Jockey Journal forum I’m in an ongoing discussion about UU frames and this is one of three threads I found here recently on the AMCA forum while looking for more info.

Then photos of a UU frame were posted on Classic Panheads on FB. The frame had been modified to a certain extent but some features suggested at least some pieces may be 48.
        R-H axle clip had XE-6, hallmark DIF and die number 7.
        Left clip had XE-7, DIF and die number 9.
        Rear engine mount had no visible forging number but it did have DIF as well as what appeared to be die number 4.
        Under the seat post forging was hallmark M over F in a circle. Die number looked like 2 which would be consistent with 49 according to Palmer but I imagine it could also have been used for late-48. Part of the forging number had a hole drilled through it but in full the forging number was probably 48E-1.
        Front engine mount had forging number 48E-621. Hallmark and die number unknown.
        Top engine mount had a stamped-in ridge which makes it the second version of said mount according to Palmer.

The frame had UU in the webbing on the left side. Also visible was a raised area that appeared consistent with a steering head lock.

I asked for a photo of the R-H side and here it is.

At this stage I’d say the steering head may be a 48 model because of the combination of UU in the webbing on the left side and the provision for a steering head lock. It may even be possible the frame overall is late-48 but it’s hard to be sure because of some of the alterations.
        Eric

NB: both photos used with permission.

Comment

Early OP 1947 Knucklehead frame with UU on the right side of neck casting.VIN under 400...

DSC_0179.JPG

Comment

Thanks Duffey. Is there a die number? Perhaps 11 or 12?
            Eric

Comment

Pics of a 47 bullneck frame. Interstate Drop Forge Die 11
              The UU is present in two places, the right side of the steering head and the top left of the seat post casting.
              Seat post casting: Interstate Drop Forge XE-1 Die 4
              Rear Motor Mount: Interstate Drop Forge XE 624 Die 3
              Front motor mount: XE 621 Die 5
              Right Rear: XE-6 Die 5
              Left Rear: XE-7 Die 7

47UUFrame-2.jpg47UUFrame-3.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jgbrown59 View Post
                Pics of a 47 bullneck frame. Interstate Drop Forge Die 11
                The UU is present in two places, the right side of the steering head and the top left of the seat post casting.
                Seat post casting: Interstate Drop Forge XE-1 Die 4
                Rear Motor Mount: Interstate Drop Forge XE 624 Die 3
                Front motor mount: XE 621 Die 5
                Right Rear: XE-6 Die 5
                Left Rear: XE-7 Die 7

47UUFrame-2.jpg47UUFrame-3.jpg
                Thank you.
                Eric

Comment

Eric,I don't have access to this bike,but the frame is slightly different than the ones listed in Palmer's books.I sent him pics of casting numbers when I took photos.Notice both above,the UU do not line up square to each other.PS where would I look for that Die number ? I noticed the 0 is stamped 90 degrees from the one JG posted.

Comment

In the steering head picture I posted the die number is above the zero in that crevasse, along with the IDF hallmark - which is not very visible. The die number 11 does standout. I see if I can find a better pic of this if needed.

Comment

Thanx,I can see it on your pic.I took many more frame pics that I can't find,but I think it is the same as your frame

Comment

Thanks Duffey. I’ve seen other examples like that where the Us don’t line up with each other. As JG indicated the die number is above the 0. Some very early double-downtube frames even had their die number in the webbing on the left side.

Regarding the 0, I think that may be an inspector marking and I’ve also seen it on some 1948 and later frames. Often though you’ll find the number 1 in that location and sometimes it’s the right way up while on other occasions it’s upside down. The 1 continued to be used there in the 50s and 60s and into at least 72. Several other numbers and letters were also used in that position for at least 68–72.
                        Eric

Comment

Here is a pic of a recently painted late 48 #17 IDF Steering head frame. Motor VIN is mid 12,000's FL. If you look closely there is a sideways 2 stamped on that oval.

48Frame-1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X