Installing exhaust pipes/muffler...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

55tmm,
    Thanks, that is a new configuration to me. It appears both brackets are "b" shaped & back to back. I still wonder if the location under the casting was only for slinky allowance or all the time. The two "b" shaped brackets are whats available aftermarket, so maybe they got it right. I've only seen these mounted above the casting. I've seen many many NOS brackets that are a combination "b"frame & "C"pipe. I bought a set. I've never seen this combination on a bike though, its either one type or the other.
    Bob

Comment

Hey everybody,
      I finally got the front header bracket on, here's what I did. DISCLAIMER: this is not meant as final correct information toward a 100 point restoration. I'm not having my bike judged. I wasn't able to get definite OEM bracket mounting info for a '47 EL. I tried a couple ways, but this is the only way I could get it to fit. The bracket is repop, but is exactly like NOS. I have both & used the repop because I had to elongate one of the frame bracket holes slightly to align. (see pic)
      Also, (see pic 2) a rookie mistake. While fitting the exhaust I aligned the front muffler clamp with the front edge of the muffler pipe. This seemed logical to me to maximize the clamping surface. It always bothered me why nobody did this, I thought they were just getting more length out of the exhaust, now I know. The first kick told me why when I planted the kicker arm into the front of the muffler. Luckily, it didn't tear through.
      I hope this info helps someone out. If you have questions about mounting a Knuckle exhaust, let me know.
      Attached Files
      Bob

Comment

Working...
      X