No announcement yet.

1936 unrestored at dixon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I guess my question is...what do you do with a bike like this? Throw it under a tarp for 35 years? Replace the cases (which I am assuming would be an expensive)?

Then what? What is the bike...obviously not original, but it wasn't once the judges saw the discrepancies. There must be something that could be done to salvage this bike and would still make this a worthy piece of history

Comment

Replace the missing/incorrect/modified parts with good originals and love it. I find it strange that the club allows reproduction parts on a full restoration but not as a replacement on an unrestored machine.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
        I find it strange that the club allows reproduction parts on a full restoration but not as a replacement on an unrestored machine.
        You and me both.

Comment

I find it strange that the club allows reproduction parts on a full restoration but not as a replacement on an unrestored machine.
          Chris
          the rules allow for replacing wear items on a unrestored bike. the reason they are "unrestored" is because they have ALL their original parts on them. if you find an original part of the same year with the same amount of ageing as the rest of the bike then use that when necessary.
          Kevin Valentine 13
          EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Originally posted by kval View Post
            Chris
            the rules allow for replacing wear items on a unrestored bike. the reason they are "unrestored" is because they have ALL their original parts on them. if you find an original part of the same year with the same amount of ageing as the rest of the bike then use that when necessary.
            I guess the key words there are "wear items", is that right?

Rooster
            you got it!! rubber and leather wear out and can be replaced.
            Last edited by kval; 07-01-2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Even with all it's discrepancies it's still a stunning machine.....
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by kval View Post
                Chris
                Kevin,
                What about the guy with the 1918 Brand X that is barn fresh. A perfect specimen. Except, as you would expect, the exhaust system is total rust. Where does he find a good used original exhaust?
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Kevin,
                  What about the guy with the 1918 Brand X that is barn fresh. A perfect specimen. Except, as you would expect, the exhaust system is total rust. Where does he find a good used original exhaust?
                  Chris
                  you know as well as I do that people are making parts and then ageing them to look old, if the judges cannot tell then you got away with it. BUT if they spot it you will lose points. even if it is the max deduction, SO WHAT!! you will still have a beautil bike, and that is all that counts
                  Kevin Valentine 13
                  EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Working...
                  X