WLA Serial #s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLA Serial #s

I'm new to the AMCA and just getting my feet wet with the message board. I've looked to see if this question has been asked and didn't find much.
    I have just aquired what appears to be a WLA,(very ruff condition) the boss were the serial number should be is blank, I know that on some replacement cases they were shipped that way. Can anyone offer suggestions on what other options maybe a possibility? Also I need to determine the year of this bike and if indeed it is a WLA or somthing else.\

Thanks for any help!

Pete,
    Some WLAs ended up with engines with no number when they were replaced in the field. OK but difficult to title. Some had numbers removed. Not so good. depending on where you are could be next to impossible to title.
    Pictures are the best way for forum members to see what you have and point out ways to identify changes to narrow down the year model. Starting in '42 and through the wartime production all WLAs were stamped as '42 despite the actual year of manufacture. Look underneath the crankcases toward the front and identify the numbers stamped in the cases. those will at least tell when the cases were produced.
    Try to get those pictures posted!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the input, as soon as I get all the pieces together I will post pics.

Comment

There were many parts changes during the WWII WLA production. You really need a copy of Palmer's "How To Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson" to positively identify your bike with the replacement cases. You can find it on Amazon or ebay. But as with most out of print books they are expensive.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
        X