Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinforcement plate in horn bracket?

Hi everybody!

I saw in a spanish website some kind of oval reinforcement plate in the connection between the horn bracket and the headlamp bracket... (please see attached picture)

I do not have such a part in my 47... Is the part original and correct to that year?

What is the function of it? I do not see much necessity of reinforcing nothing there...

Any advice welcomed to see if I have to chase for this missing part or not!

Many thanks and kind regards!

Chris.
    Attached Files

Chris,
    If you are talking about the oval spring plate it is supposed to be there. The two bolts are shouldered and the shoulder creates clearance between the horn bracket and headlight bracket. The spring plate creates tension without forming a solid connection so that vibration does not fracture the horn bracket. It also requires the correct bolts. Are they on your bike?
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hi Robbie!

Many thanks for the useful information.

None of this hardware is in my bike. The upper side of the horn bracket is assembled to the headlamp bracket with bolts similar to the ones used for the lower side of the horn bracket (fender side).

I will have to "chase" for this missing parts (oval plate and right bolts) but I guess this will be difficult since I do not remember to have seen then in ebay (my painful source)...

I will make a try anyway...

Thanks again!

Chris.

Comment

Re: Horn bracket spring plate...

Chris, just go to olddude.com. Call up Clete or Bart (770)921-3825 and ask for HD part 4855-42, they have it, parkerized, just like OEM. They have the bolts, also, (4855-42). Works for 1942-1948 year model horns. Reasonable, and they ship fast....BONES
        P.S.: You do have the parts catalog for 1936-1948 Big Twin Models, I trust? Page 95.
        Last edited by BONES47FL; 04-20-2009, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Many thanks, Bones! I will for sure follow your advice! Not only because of this 47F horn plate but also because I have a 48FL in very poor condition regarding original screws and bolts... I might spend some $$$ there! I have been hesitating because I was unable so far to find the "ultimate list of serial numbers of all 48FL screws and bolts"!

Even if I have been riding pans and knuckles already 25 years long, I am starting only now going in the ultra-super-sophisticated world of the "perfect restoration". Accordingly is my knowledge and bibliography more than weak (ask Chris Haynes, here! He answers 10 questions of mine every day!!! Poor Chris...). Actually Palmer's book is my bible and hardly know more than what is written there! I miss this catalogue you are talking about... How does the cover looks like?

Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Chris.

Comment

To order from Old Dude, I would suggest a catalog - otherwise you and Bart or Clete have no reference point. Also the catalog will indicate the assembly order of the different components and will answer many of your questions. In the back you will find the specs on all the "common" nuts, bolts and washers (those that have a 4-digit part number).

Avoid the later editions of the manual. Harley-Davidson lists a catalog 1941 - 1984(?). That one is junk for any restoration purpose, or for any other purpose for that matter since even the slab shovel info is almost non-existant.

I purchased my parts manual from Old Dude - Title is "Spare Parts for 1941-1954". Cover is a light green. There may be others but this one has always worked for me.

Good luck with your restorations.

Lonnie
            Lonnie Campbell #9908
            South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

The 1948 H-D parts catalogue is available in reprint.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
              X