Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterling police siren

Hello again!

This time, I was wishing for your help about two problems that I faced while trying to assemble a Sterling 38R in my 47F.

a) I believe from vintage pictures that the part of the cable routing (for the siren operation) close to the pedal must be something close to what I did (please see the attached pictures), but the remaining routing againt the siren was a full improvisation that I was willing to check with you. As you see again in the pictures, there is a very tempting hole that I used to route the cable through it... Is this the proper way?

b) The pedal I bought (once again in ebay...) came with a massive casting u-bracket for fixation to the lower leg of the frame. No way to fit such a bulky clamp between the quite narrow space between frame and internal primary tin! I was forced then to take a wire clamp from a leg shield that I have and assembled it with it, regreting not being able to use the nice casting clamp (now the threads and nuts protude below the bike and doesn't look quite nice... Somebody can give me information of the right clamp for a Sterling in a Knuckle?

Many thanks again to all and kind regards from Jap!

Chris.
    Attached Files

Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris,
      Your cable is right through the hole in the casting, however it is much too short. It should have a long loop behind the transmission to allow free movement of the inner cable. Your cable appears to be about a 10 -12 inches too short. A surplus WLA brake cable is perfect to construct the right type. Also, the cast clamp is correct for all models of Big Twins during the '40s. It mounts so that the ear on it is up against the bottom and the clamp itself is against the front of the frame cross brace at the bottom of the seat tube. This prevents it from rotating when the heel is pressed hard on it and locates the pedal in the right position.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Wow, Chris! Is this your bike??? What a beauty!

With the picture you gave me a clear answer about the hole as the good routing for the coil! Now the stand hides somehow the fixation of the pedal... Do you know if was done with a casting clamp or a wire U-clamp?

By the way, I see a fire extinquisher there! I built also one but havin zero idea about it! Please see the attached picture... Prestolite, huge and full improvisation again (but never damaging nothing!) from my side for the fixation to the frame... How to these FE brackets get assembled (properly in the round tubes of the frame??? Isn?t tricky?

Thanks again, Chris!

Chris.
        Last edited by Chris in Japan; 05-06-2009, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Rub!

Anyway the recommended 10-12 extra inches is huge! The loop it would be no far away from getting closer to the right side of the bike! Is this correct? I will try anyway with a longer coil.

Regarding the pedal itself, I can follow you perfectly since this is what I did, making sure the ear you say comfortably lays below the bridge to avoid rotation of the pedal... My question was done on the small U-clamp that is used to embrace the frame tube and holds the pedal in position. My pedal came with a heavy casting clamp but this one had no place to fit between the narrow gap between primary tin and frame lower tube. I was forced to use a wire U-clamp which is obviously much more compact (but likely incorrect)...

Many thanx+++

Comment

[QUOTE=Chris in Japan;78284]Wow, Chris! Is this your bike??? What a beauty!
            Nope. That is a facory photo from 1941.

With the picture you gave me a clear answer about the hole as the good routing for the coil! Now the stand hides somehow the fixation of the pedal... Do you know if was done with a casting clamp or a wire U-clamp?
            Cast cap.

By the way, I see a fire extinquisher there! I built also one but havin zero idea about it! Please see the attached picture... Prestolite, huge and full improvisation again (but never damaging nothing!) from my side for the fixation to the frame... How to these FE brackets get assembled (properly in the round tubes of the frame??? Isn?t tricky?

Be sure to visit;

Comment

Chris in Japan,
              The correct clamp is a cast one. It is fairly thin in profile so perhaps the one you have is not the correct one. The correct clamp has two threaded holes and the bolts are installed from below. If I get a chance I will photograph it for you.( I have to remove it from my bike!) My police bike is a '44UL with sidecar. The fire extinguisher that Chris shows in his photo mounts to the upper sidecar mounting hole in the rear and has a flat strap and u-clamp attachment in front. I have one mounted on my bike with the correct "Motorcycle Type" Pyrene extinguisher. Also note that the siren cable has a clamp mounted on the upper clutch derby cover screw to hold it against the cover. And the cable when looped in the right length goes about to the end of the gearbox where the kicker cover bolts on!
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Many thanks again, Chris! Full of detail in those pictures! BTW I saw your website and enjoyed a good while those great old pictures!!!

Dear Rub! Also thanks for the valuable information! With your comment about the coil routing you are making me clear that effectively is missing a lot!

I have attached some pictures here of my clamp that I was unable to assemble in the 47F... Of course goes in the upper side of the frame tube as you described but no way in my case with this thickness of casting!

Do you think they were specific clamps for BT and 45??? It is difficult to believe... I am puzzled with this one and I appreciate any advice!

Kind regards,
                Chris.
                Attached Files

Comment

Clamp for (38R Sterling) siren pedal

Hi everybody!

Just bringing up the last post again...

I got many answers (thanks!) but this one remain forgotten... Can somebody explain me why the casting clamp (pictures above) I have for the siren pedal does not fit in my 47F? Is this part wrong? Has somebody a Knuck with a Sterling siren willing to take a picture of his "correct" clamp (assembled of course! No need to remove nothing...)?

Many thanks.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris in Japan View Post
                    Many thanks again, Chris! Full of detail in those pictures! BTW I saw your website and enjoyed a good while those great old pictures!!!
                    Kind regards,
                    Chris.
                    Next time you visit www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com be sure to register. Then you will be able to view the pictures in a larger format.
                    Be sure to visit;

Comment

Working...
                    X