Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Lock removal

Hi guys..
    Getting ready to get my '66 frame powdercoated. Everything is off except the fork lock.
    I don't have the key for it..and have two questions.

1) Do I need to remove it for powdercoating
    2) How do I remove it (either for powdercoating or to have a key made)

Thanks!

Fork Lock Removal

After cleaning the lock area very well, If you put a Brigg`s & Stratton key (blank or not) in the lock & rock it back & forth, spray penetrating oil above & to the right of lock, rock some more, you should see a little ring of rust show up. That is a pin which holds the lock in. I wish I knew a better way, but I`ve always had to drill it out- it`s at an angle & i can`t tell you that- just use your best judgement & drill slow & carefully! When it is out, the key will pull the lock out. You`ll also have to pop out the plug in the front of neck,& pry out the pin & spring. You may be able to leave it in- Talk tothe painter! It`s easy to get a key made for it & you`ll love it! Ross

Comment

Look at another post for pics

Hi, Look under the Panhead section on the second page that topic with pictures of the pin location is posted under Fork Lock. It would benefit you to remove it and the plunger and spring as well and apply fresh lubricant after your paint job. I prefer a good grease type for that application because of water washes overtime will try to penatrate the area.

Comment

Working...
      X