HD 18" Wheel pitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD 18" Wheel pitting

I have an opportunity to purchase locally an 18" interchangeable wheel for my 1940 EL, and there is some light pitting around the bead on parts of the rim. Will minor pitting cause a problem with tire separation from the rim? Is there a recommended approach to fix/fill the pitting? The wheel looks straight, and is otherwise rebuildable, but if it is not worth dealing with from a bead/safety standpoint (I will be riding the bike somewhat extensively), then I would rather steer clear (pun intended). Thanks.
    Vic Ephrem
    AMCA #2590

I have had a couple of 18's in similar (or worse) condition and had each of them powdercoated twice with a sanding after the first coat. This process helped fill in the pits. Have not had any trouble, running Coker Firestone reproduction tires, 4.50X18. Also using air pressure slightly more than the book says.

Lonnie C from SC
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

HD 18" Wheel Pitting

Thanks, Lonnie ... that's kind of what I thought, but wanted some real world confirmation. Appreciate your thoughts.
      Vic Ephrem
      AMCA #2590

Comment

I've run rims with pits around the bead area on 18's and never had problems.

Rims with pitted spoke/nipple areas (under the rim strip) are a different story as the spokes can become loose, etc.

Is the nipple (hole) area under the rim strip pristine?

I'm a big 18" wheel advocate and always have been.
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======
        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
        X