No announcement yet.

Star Hub Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll throw out an opinion here. The concern seems to be that the bearing is not a full compliment type. The original hub was just surface hardened for the rollers to ride on. This setup uses real bearing races. This should more than make up for the few missing rollers to share the load. I don't see the bearing numbers but if you had them you could look them up and get the load rating. Usually a bearing that size is rated pretty heavy, like in thousands of pounds. Looks like a fine idea to me. Finding a machine shop to take on the job shouldn't be too hard as long as you want to pay the rate. Probably better to find a hobbyist to do it. I've cut 60rc steel with just standard carbide tooling. You just have to watch your surface speed. A part that's been just surfaced hardened isn't usually a problem.

Comment

Thanks for that Kojack, The more I yhink about this it seems to be the best idea yet. Already talked to a machinist, no problem says he. Guess I'll contact kurt myself and get some pricing and any other info.
      Brian

Comment

Go here to see parts and prices.

http://flatlandmotorcyclecompany.com/intro/

Then click visit-country-$'s

Comment

Hubba-hubba

Has anyone had experience with Star Hub Pros? A guy named Jim Harvey at www. johnsonvalley.com . He does star hub repair and restoration, looks good on his site, price looks good too. Saw his advert in the Club magazine. I checked with a local machinist that works on Harleys, and his price plus the cost of the kits being discussed , was gonna make for a couple a spendy hubs. This machinist recomended going re-pop, which I would rather not do.
          Doug.

Comment

star hub conversion

doug,i've known j.Harvey for years before he moved out west,very diligent and detail intense,and the machinist he works with is from this area too and a very skilled hand.if i were inclined to this operation,i would definitely let him handle it.if you speak to him,say hey.Crabb

Comment

Bill will be getting his conversion in a couple weeks. I've been extremely busy with the new Ohio location and our new website that I took longer than I'd liked to get him the parts. Thank you for your patients Bill.

D.Mac, the hubs I have are produced in Europe and have been for well over a decade. They carry a 5-Year warranty. I've sold hundreds of them with no complaints. We also produce the "stepped hub" and with input from some AMCA members we've made them very close to the look of an original, but more durable.

As I've said in another forum, the repair kit I offer is a by-product of our hubs, it was never intended as a stand-alone product. The hubs have a proven track record otherwise I wouldn't offer the kit. You just need a machinist that is qualified to install it correctly.

One thing I like the most about the kit. Once you absorb the initial cost of having the repair done to an original hub, if the bearing ever fails for whatever reason, you can replace it.

I'm sure Bill will report in with his project.

Kurt

www.45partsdepot.com

Comment

Star Hub Conversions

I contacted Kurt (see above pics of their conversion) and am awaiting two kits. He seems like a very honest and square guy and he has been very responsive.

Unfortunately, he does not do the machine work. I am contemplating doing it for others, but I want to convert mine first to see if it's a financially viable service. However, I'm sure that any good machinist can do the necessary boring of the hardened races.

You can acquire Kurt's conversion kits at www.45partsdepot.com

Bill Pedalino

Comment

Is there anyone out there that knows who does star hub Timken bearing conversions, or has a kit with machining documentation. Starhubpros is no longer in business.
                  thanks bob

Comment

You can send them to Paul Friebus at American Cycle Fab and he will install new bearing surfaces so you can run the original roller type bearings and they are sized back to original specs. With that you have decades of rebuilds with stock components. I think he is charging $100 per hub.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                    AMCA#12766

Comment

Thanks very much for the contact.

Bobby

Comment

How can i get in contact with Kurt

Comment

Working...
                        X