1947 knucklehead frame ID

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rubone
    replied
    Originally posted by RyanShackelford View Post
    From what I have found looking in my palmer book, I think this is a 1943 frame that someone added the mounting tab for the spark control cable to the downtube. The number 8 die number on the steering neck and the die numbers on the axle plates line up with 43. I thought the sidecar loops were welded but its hard to tell with the powder coat, they could be brazed. Now I need to decide if I am going to source a proper 47 bullneck frame for this bike or leave well enough alone and enjoy as is. The frame appears to be in great shape and the bike runs down the road nicely. I figure if I do find a 47 frame someone would love to use this if they had a 43 Big Twin engine, since those are pretty rare.
    The frame will also fit a U series and they were built for both civilian and military use in '43.

    Leave a comment:


  • RyanShackelford
    replied
    From what I have found looking in my palmer book, I think this is a 1943 frame that someone added the mounting tab for the spark control cable to the downtube. The number 8 die number on the steering neck and the die numbers on the axle plates line up with 43. I thought the sidecar loops were welded but its hard to tell with the powder coat, they could be brazed. Now I need to decide if I am going to source a proper 47 bullneck frame for this bike or leave well enough alone and enjoy as is. The frame appears to be in great shape and the bike runs down the road nicely. I figure if I do find a 47 frame someone would love to use this if they had a 43 Big Twin engine, since those are pretty rare.

    Leave a comment:


  • RyanShackelford
    replied
    Originally posted by otis71 View Post
    47 non bull neck frames have a tapped hole at the top of the left front down tube to secure the spark control cable. I don’t see one on yours.
    It has the tapped hole on the left downtube off the tank mount for the spark control. That’s why I originally thought it was a 47 frame but the neck has thrown me off. Maybe the 47 style tank mount with the spark control hole was added? Maybe the neck was changed? If the neck was swapped they did a good job. It’s brazed, not welded.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • otis71
    replied
    47 non bull neck frames have a tapped hole at the top of the left front down tube to secure the spark control cable. I don’t see one on yours.

    Leave a comment:


  • DANPATCH
    replied
    #8 is a 1942

    Leave a comment:


  • RyanShackelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Rubone View Post
    How close is the back of your fender to the SC loops? Correct offset fork?
    With a straight edge across the front of the sidecar loops to the back of the front fender is 1 1/8”.

    Leave a comment:


  • RyanShackelford
    replied
    Rear axle plates
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • RyanShackelford
    replied
    Looks like an offset springer to me, but im not an expert. Trying to learn
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RyanShackelford; 01-21-2025, 09:49 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • RyanShackelford
    replied
    Sidecar loops look welded to me
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • RyanShackelford
    replied
    With a straight edge across the front of the sidecar loops to the back of the front fender is 1 1/8”.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • RyanShackelford
    replied
    I think it’s the correct offset fork. I will post pics of that as well

    Leave a comment:


  • RyanShackelford
    replied
    The sidecar loops appear to be welded to me. I can get some pics today. I can measure to the fender as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rubone
    replied
    How close is the back of your fender to the SC loops? Correct offset fork?

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry Wieland
    replied
    Originally posted by RyanShackelford View Post
    I don’t think so either, I’d like to figure out what it is.
    I think later 1941 to early 1946. Are the sidecar loops welded or brazed in?

    Leave a comment:


  • RyanShackelford
    replied
    I don’t think so either, I’d like to figure out what it is.

    Leave a comment:

Working...