Parkerizing - cad plating - painting 1947 Harley FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkerizing - cad plating - painting 1947 Harley FL

Can anyone tell me where in Bruce Palmers books or anywhere else I can look at one page or two to determine exactly what needs to be parkerized, cad plated or otherwise?
    It would really help if I could do all the Parkerizing at one time.
    I figure that if I'm going to do a frame up restoration on this old dog, I might as well do it correctly.
    Also I'd like to see if any of you can give me first hand references to shops that I can send this frame to to get checked out prior to me having it blasted and painted.
    Thanks
    Sam

Haven't you a copy of Palmer's, Sam?

Even an old one?

It doesn't matter, because the park'ing never matched everywhere on a machine anyway.

image_44681.jpg

It should get the judges' stinkfinger if it does.

....Cotten
    PS: Blasting the frame is just the first inspection step, but helps you make decisions; If there is no obvious structural damage, you can do your own alignment inspection with the help of the Service Manual.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-11-2024, 04:04 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I do my parkerizing in smaller batches for 2 reasons; first because any contamination isn’t good so I take it straight from the blast cabinet to the heated solution handling with gloves and second I would loose interest in blasting long before I could do everything on a bike. And as Tom said different parts take different shades, I assume by alloy.

Comment

Cotten
        I've just spent the past 2 hours looking thru Palmer's books and on the net looking for any kind of chart showing what type of plating goes on various pieces of this '47 Knucklehead.
        All I've found so far is on page 790-793 showing various parts that look mostly like 45's to me. This helps but is very incomplete.
        There has to be a chart somewhere so a more common bike like a Knucklehead being judged can be properly authenticated.
        I know if your getting a Model T or Model A judged, they have books like Palmer's that show even the proper cotter pins and their finish.
        Where can I get this information? I know I've seen this somewhere in the past but where.
        I understand what you and Otis are saying about not doing everything in one batch

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by samsmc1 View Post
          Cotten
          I've just spent the past 2 hours looking thru Palmer's books and on the net looking for any kind of chart showing what type of plating goes on various pieces of this '47 Knucklehead.
          All I've found so far is on page 790-793 showing various parts that look mostly like 45's to me. This helps but is very incomplete.
          There has to be a chart somewhere so a more common bike like a Knucklehead being judged can be properly authenticated.
          I know if your getting a Model T or Model A judged, they have books like Palmer's that show even the proper cotter pins and their finish.
          Where can I get this information? I know I've seen this somewhere in the past but where.
          I understand what you and Otis are saying about not doing everything in one batch

Sam
          Ford folks, Sam,...

Must be like AMCA judges who think the people who made these things were infallible godz.

A lot of variation in park'd finishes can be attributed to not only different recipes of moly, zinc, etc, but also whatever they were 'oiled' with afterward. We can presume much went straight into Cosmo, and Indians' didn't exactly match productions for HDs:

COSMOS1.jpg

Its all about faking it authentistically; Pick a shoepolish to fit your tastes!

...Cotten
          PS: Most people also realize that original cad darkened naturally, much of it to the point of appearing park'd.
          (My modern provider warned against storing fresh cad in closed containers.)
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-12-2024, 12:19 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten

Sam
            Not sure what you are looking at or where but Palmer's has every finish for every year listed by year. Occasionally new info is found, but it is pretty close to exact.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Cotten

Sam
              From your reference of pages 790-793 you are in the 2nd edition. Just go to pages 903 thru 905. I would suggest going thru your parts manual item by item and if its not on those pages that say parkerize, cad plate, black paint, etc., then look elsewhere in Bruce's book under those items or then ask those specific unfound items finish requirements. Sorry, but yes, a little effort is needed here, be thankful Bruce has done what he has done!! 3rd edition will even help you more.
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Even in the appendix where all finishes are listed by year it seems some parts aren’t included. Usually a look in previous years gives you a clue. Speaking of variations in shade, I’ve had parts with different shades done in the same batch together.

Comment

I found it
                  Thanks

Comment

Palmer's new Revised Third Edition is being shipped by the printer, hopefully, tomorrow. He survived the hurricane but is without power and his property is a mess so give him some time before ordering.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Different alloys of steel, temperature, and chemical proportions will affect the color of Parkerizing. H-D employed many different alloys of steel based on application; and production schedules created variations in vendor supplied materials, especially post WW2 as American manufacturing struggled to keep up with consumer demand. This influenced ALL manufacturing including auto production so I don't think anyone can write biblical documents that will be 100% correct regardless of product. Bruce Palmer has made everyone an expert with his H-D restoration books which are peer reviewed and updated accordingly by Bruce. Be glad he has handed this stuff to us on a silver platter.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                      X