Patent decal 1947

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patent decal 1947

Purchased a patent decal from Old Dude, Palmer says it's the correct one for 47-48. Went to the museum this morning to take pics of their 47 EL and the Patent decal on their bike is what others describe as 49-50 (no mention of Canadian Patents). I know Palmer isn't the last word and neither are the museum bikes........What do you guys think? pic below is of HD museum 47EL Patent decal.jpg

Half of that stuff in the museum has been messed with, poorly restored, and parts swapped around. Proceed with much caution...
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Older restorations ...look here..REPLICANT Products Decals

Comment

I have the decal Tom sells for the 47, just noting it's different than what shows on the museum bike pictured above. The placard on the museum 47 says unrestored......

Comment

Here is one from an original '47 FL
          1947 Knucklehead 083.jpg

Comment

Thanx,that is a better explanation.You didn't say that museum '47 is supposedly un-restored.You made me find my 45" battery box that I think is NOS.It came in a collection of 1946 WL parts I bought about 30 years ago but that doesn't prove it is from 1946 !.It is like the '47 decal in the museum.My guess is the '47 is correct & is like the 1944-1946 without the Canadian info.The Canadian info may have only been only on exports.The '47-'48 at Replicant has more patent numbers than they show for '49-'50 & the '49-'50 may be wrong.Also the letters & spacing are different than the '47 museum bike,probably computer generated.Also the replicant '40-'43 has more numbers than '44-'46,,,'40-'43 is probably wrong.
            My guess is the museum bike is correct & maybe an early '47.
            Pic of my decal...Where would you find a more correct one ?

DSC_0463.JPG

Comment

I didn't see 55tmm 's post.I forgot the I do have this pic of a low mileage early 1947 Knuck.One of the first 400 1947s with 7,500 miles.Like 55tmm's pic,it does have the Candian info & was not an export.

1947 FL patent.JPG

Comment

30 years ago I bought an NOS WL battery box. It had the 51 to 57 Hydra-Glide decal. Maybe exactly correct decals weren't that important to them.
                Dave

Comment

HD replacement parts made post production had lots on unusual differences.Mine isn't necessarily NOS or original paint. Maybe done with the same old repop decal as the museum.

Comment

Working...
                  X