Electric welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric welding

It has been years since i pick up a stick welder .Any suggestions on what rod and what amps they welded the backbone at .I like the looks of the 7018. Thanks for your help .

Dan, 7018 is a low hydrogen rod that is super tough and hard to start after first arc as it forms a glassy patch on the tip. That can be dislodged by tapping on the concrete floor or whatever. All position rod good for overhead and up hill passes. You could use it but I'd use smaller than 1/8th inch. As far has heat range 100-125 for 1/8 inch. Try on piece of scrap. Check heat and speed. Shouldn't undercut on edges. To fast it will leave a pointed trail it should have a nice ridged look. Practice awhile till it looks right. It should sound like frying eggs. A torch at the proper temp and speed for the thickness of metal will sound the same. 7024 is for flat only but leaves a nice bead. I'm trying to remember it's been awhile but I think 7016? is a sheet metal rod that works on thinner material.You can look that up. I mostly gas weld anymore and it can look electric if you want it too.I use an oxy-actylene unit but the younger crowd uses electrified gas torches.Hope thismhelps some.Now you'll get all kinds of answers.
    DrSprocket

Comment

Dan, Scratch the 7016. I meant for sheetmetal or light gauge metal it's 6013 and 3/32 works well at 70 to 100 amps. It's all position too. Another option is 6010. Remember at the end of your pass to come back on it just a little to close up the end as not to leave a small divot not filled with material to start a crack out of. It doesn't hurt to preheat a little to get the molecules flowing to receive the new material.
      DrSprocket

Comment

Thanks so much

Comment

Working...
        X