Stripped zerk fitting threads on a 1947 H-D Springer Rocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First I'd lathe-cut an anvil, Folks,...

A shaft smooth enough it won't booger the bushing; Something that can then be held in a vise.

Then I'd take a boogered zirque out of the fossil bin, and shave off the hex, using my 5/16"-32 tapped puck o' PEEK for a mandrel. (Normally its a dedicated HX tool.)

Then, if I didn't find one I already cut, I would make a hollow drift to go over the shaved zirque, and try to put a rounded profile upon it. (No doubt, when I put it away, I'll find a better one.)

With the rocker upon the anvil in a sturdy vise, the shaved zirque "installed", (my glasses on), the drift can be placed over the zirque, and judiciously abused with the up-and-down wrench, until it grabs the zirque.

Chase with a tap maybe, and apply a thread-locker to the new zirque just for karma.

Please don't over-torque.

Results may vary.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-22-2024, 02:02 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

I'd try hitting it with a hammer first, Kozy!

(Artfully, of course.)

This never gets old:
      FARSIDE.jpg

Whatcha got to lose?

....Cotten
      PS: Tried to tap a weld lately?
      …So push the new bushing out, insert a solid round billet of the rocker I.D., and hit it with the round part of a ball peen or big punch. Then I’d have enough to re-thread? Am I on the right path?

Comment

Oh damn. I didn’t see your Wednesday at 2;58 reply before I posted my question about the ball peen Cotten…

Comment

This forum's format is a 'fail', Knuckgush!

The only way I can keep track is to stay logged out, because then there's a 'Today's Posts' button at the top. I can't imagine using this forum on a phone.

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-23-2024, 10:50 AM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
            First I'd lathe-cut an anvil, Folks,...

A shaft smooth enough it won't booger the bushing; Something that can then be held in a vise.

Then I'd take a boogered zirque out of the fossil bin, and shave off the hex, using my 5/16"-32 tapped puck o' PEEK for a mandrel. (Normally its a dedicated HX tool.)

Then, if I didn't find one I already cut, I would make a hollow drift to go over the shaved zirque, and try to put a rounded profile upon it. (No doubt, when I put it away, I'll find a better one.)

With the rocker upon the anvil in a sturdy vise, the shaved zirque "installed", (my glasses on), the drift can be placed over the zirque, and judiciously abused with the up-and-down wrench, until it grabs the zirque.

Chase with a tap maybe, and apply a thread-locker to the new zirque just for karma.

Please don't over-torque.

Results may vary.

....Cotten
            Up and down wrench???

Comment

Originally posted by knuckgush View Post

Up and down wrench???
              Tool No. 1, Knuckgush!

As illustrated in post #15...

I didn't coin the phrase.

Try not to think of it next time you use one.

...Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
              X