Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right side Crankcase Race/Bushing

Knuck Race.jpeg

Has anyone ran into this issue? I am replacing the right side crankcase bushing/race on my '46 knucklehead engine. This is part # 24599-40. I have now ordered 2 races and neither one has worked. After comparing the 2 new ones to the old, original that was removed, I noticed a difference in the machining. Here is a picture of a new one (left) and the original (right). Notice the difference in the thickness of the "collar". The new race's collar is around .060" thicker and this extra thickness causes the race to bottom out in the crankcase sooner. This causes the race to be .060" short on the timing gear side and causes me to lose .060" on the flywheel side of the crankcase...Flywheels /pinion won't fit up correctly.

The overall height of the new and old races is the same. The collar thickness is the only difference. Could this be the 24599-55 mistakenly packaged as a -40? Like I said though, I have bought 2 and both new ones have been the same? bad batch? Anyone know who to get a correct one from?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Keith
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kehughes; 04-16-2024, 08:19 AM.

Not ran into that but you could turn the collar down to the specific size on a lathe pretty easily. Save you a bunch of headache and shipping charges from vendors.

Comment

I have thought about that, but hate to if I could find the correct part. Its pretty bad if you have to machine brand new parts. I wonder if machining it down could effect any of the hardening...?

Thank you for your response... much appreciated

Comment

What brand is the new race(s) you are trying to install?

Comment

It is an Eastern

Comment

It's a crapper that you have to do that but I've had to do machining on a lot of new parts so I feel your pain. It won't bother the hardness of it. I've actually done that on Indian races just to adjust end play and they've been fine.

Comment

Good to know if I have to go that route. I may check out JIM's version. Maybe they got it right

Comment

Working...
              X