1941-46 Knucklehead gas tanks restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941-46 Knucklehead gas tanks restoration

I am in the process of having some Knucklehead tanks restored here in the UK. The tanks are a little dinged and as you will see are in need of some TLC. I have a guy over here who specializes in motorcycle tank restoration who is well able to to do the job however we need a little bit of information to do the job properly. If we had some photos with measurements that would be ideal.

In this first post are some photos of what we have started with - the next post will show the tanks after stripping - unfortunately this had to be done as part of the process...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

So here we have some pictures post stripping that has uncovered some more dings and old lead and brazing repairs.

The stuff that I'd like to know more about are:

1. Some detail shots of the back of the tank from the top - as you may one able to make out there has been an old lead repair at the rear of the tank and there is a step down as the tank fades towards towards the seat. I want to be sure of this is not supposed to be there before we straighten it out.

2. The angle of the studs at the rear of the tank.

3. Need a detail shot of the gear shifter gate bungs on the left hand tank

4. Top of LH tank - front - fuel rod area - wanting to know what thread this is and if there is anyone making a fitting for this? The one in there at the moment is pretty much shot.

Hopefully some of you guys can give me some good pointers...

Richard

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Here are some pics of an NOS set of tanks.The studs are not angled, they are perpendicular to the frame. The shifter area is full radius, no depressions. Your emblem mounts are a mess as well. DCP_3792.JPG DCP_3789.JPG DCP_3790.JPG
      Last edited by Rubone; 04-03-2024, 01:44 PM.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

DCP_3791.JPG
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rubone - Here are some pics of an NOS set of tanks.The studs are not angled, they are perpendicular to the frame. The shifter area is full radius, no depressions. Your emblem mounts are a mess as well.Thanks for the photos and information on the mounts - and the shifter gate area - that is pretty much what we were thinking - if you have any more pictures that would help. Any thoughts on the fuel rod thread at the top of the tank

Comment

Holey ****! NOS 41-46 Knuckle tanks!!!

Comment

4b01eff2-4f44-4016-9f97-db82ae98875f.jpeg 3fe6c1fb-c4a2-45b6-8d91-5b0408c244aa.jpeg 772d5ce2-a063-4dbb-a56f-09d685299d5f.jpeg 1679beeb-0edb-4c3d-933c-385f3cbee5a8.jpeg f41332ca-bcb6-4b0b-abef-6a6bdfe33540.jpeg Ok, so some good progress with the tanks .. They've had the dents removed and are awaiting pressure testing before replacing the badge trims and nickel plating - still wanting some more information on the fuel rod fittings at the top and bottom of the right hand tank - does anyone make replacements or we in the territory of making something one off?

Comment

Nice metal work. Not as easy as it looks. Give that metalworker a big atta boy,for me.
                DrSprocket

Comment

I agree, very nice metal work.
                  Great job!

Comment

Working...
                  X