1945 Knucklehead Fender Trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1945 Knucklehead Fender Trim?

Is there any record of fender trim on a 1945 FL? I have a late production VIN. There are a few on the web stating they were properly restored by "x" and have fender trim. Palmers book says no fender trim till a few months into 1946 production.

Here is a 1945 with fender trim.

Thanks for thr help.

I don't think fender trim returned until mid 46, as it took a little time for the MOCO to source material.
    vph-d

Comment

Originally posted by Temple View Post
      Is there any record of fender trim on a 1945 FL? I have a late production VIN. There are a few on the web stating they were properly restored by "x" and have fender trim. Palmers book says no fender trim till a few months into 1946 production.

Here is a 1945 with fender trim.

Thanks for thr help.
      I agree with vph-d. Even early 1946's had no fender trim. Jerry

Comment

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0118-31...nucklehead-el/

bikes like this threw a wrench into what I read. I wasn't sure if there was possibly a civilian model we have records of. The information during that time seems hit and miss on when things changed.

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong but i thought even a civilian 1945 model should have had a black air cleaner cover, gas caps, and shift gate, etc.?
          DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
            Maybe I'm wrong but i thought even a civilian 1945 model should have had a black air cleaner cover, gas caps, and shift gate, etc.?
            Correct, and black headlight bezel, black control sleeves, black horn cover, black speedo bezel, black idiot light bezels, parkerized Knuckle nuts, pushrod covers, and timer, etc, etc...
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post

Correct, and black headlight bezel, black control sleeves, black horn cover, black speedo bezel, black idiot light bezels, parkerized Knuckle nuts, pushrod covers, and timer, etc, etc...
              So this is more accurate? There aren't many colored photos of civilan 1945's.
              https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0120-39...y-davidson-61/

Comment

That's about as close as it gets Sean. You will notice the lifter blocks and oil pump are painted white which they should be and not silver (or cad?) like the the other one.
                DrSprocket

Comment

I have a 45 FL which I've been on again/off again restoring. The only chrome on it is the knuckle nuts.
                  vph-d

Comment

Originally posted by vph-d View Post
                    I have a 45 FL which I've been on again/off again restoring. The only chrome on it is the knuckle nuts.
                    vph-d
                    Thanks for the help

Comment

When we restored the 1945 EL on the cover of Bruce Palmer's books, John, the owner wanted all the parts that were black for a 1945 chromed. I explained to him that wouldn't be correct but that's what he wanted. Had the bike judged at the Florida meet and lost points for all the chrome. He said "Can we get rid of the chrome?" So everything I got chromed came off and replaced with black. Guess we got it right because at the Oley meet he got 100 points and the Perkiomen Chapter Wolverton Award.
                      The bike has been in the same family for 73 years. John's Dad bought it from a Newark, New Jersey police officer in 1950. In 1960 he gave it to 20 year old John. In 1962 John rearended a car with the bike. He replaced the springer with a Hydra-Glide front end and painted the bike red.
                      Fast forward to 1999. John contacted me about "fixing up his old bike". I said"John, we aren't going to fix it up, we are going to do a full restoration".
                      His Mom and Dad lived long enough to see their bike restored; they loved it! John is still riding the bike. Sometimes on Florida Chapter rides and other rides. Someday it will be passed on to his son.
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ammorest View Post
                        When we restored the 1945 EL on the cover of Bruce Palmer's books, John, the owner wanted all the parts that were black for a 1945 chromed. I explained to him that wouldn't be correct but that's what he wanted. Had the bike judged at the Florida meet and lost points for all the chrome. He said "Can we get rid of the chrome?" So everything I got chromed came off and replaced with black. Guess we got it right because at the Oley meet he got 100 points and the Perkiomen Chapter Wolverton Award.
                        The bike has been in the same family for 73 years. John's Dad bought it from a Newark, New Jersey police officer in 1950. In 1960 he gave it to 20 year old John. In 1962 John rearended a car with the bike. He replaced the springer with a Hydra-Glide front end and painted the bike red.
                        Fast forward to 1999. John contacted me about "fixing up his old bike". I said"John, we aren't going to fix it up, we are going to do a full restoration".
                        His Mom and Dad lived long enough to see their bike restored; they loved it! John is still riding the bike. Sometimes on Florida Chapter rides and other rides. Someday it will be passed on to his son.
                        Dave
                        Great story. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X