Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did all 36’s have the serif L

Comment

I mentioned earlier via PM that AFAIK all 1936 models have serifs on the L and by that I meant general production models.

Regarding the RLDR for 36, it was on the season order blank but it was listed as a competition special and I think that may be why 36RLDR1507 has a sans serif L. This may also account for its 6 having a round back. And notice too the bottom of the R-H stroke of the R.

Below is a 36RLD for comparison of those three characters. Its L is seriffed as I’d expect and its 6 has a curved back as opposed to a round back. And the bottom of the R-H stroke of the R is different to the RLDR.
      Eric

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks. I’m trying to find someone with a pic of the vin of mile wolfes 36 knucklehead. Jerry wieland said he took one and he was looking for it but nothing yet
        when I enlarge it, it gets too blurry

Comment

Disregard I was able to get a pic

Comment

Eric, I sent you a pic via pm

Comment

IMG_20231027_105427529.jpg IMG_20231027_105834784.jpg IMG_20231027_112734337.jpgJust to add to the confusion here are couple more 37's.

Comment

37el1439...
                Attached Files
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

36el1512

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Chris Haynes; 11-01-2023, 10:02 PM.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Looks like 36EL1512 to me said smartass Smitty

Comment

From time to time and on one site or another I’ve read that for 36–37 Knuckleheads each engine assembler got his own unique set of SN stamps as a way for the factory to trace who built a motor that failed. The exact amount was said to be unknown but it was alleged there was more than three types of variation (for SN characters).

And someone else went further, claiming that it occurred for 35–38/39, which of course would involve not only Knuckles but Flatheads as well and it was also alleged that there were possibly four assemblers for that period judging by the type of SN characters.

But I don’t believe it, partly because although my photo collection reveals some changes in SN characters for 35–39 I see no evidence of several unique sets of stamps being used at the same time as each other during that period. Not even for 1937 have I seen proof of it, because although at least ten characters changed during that model year it seems the SNs may be divided into early-37s and mid/later-37s, more or less. I say more or less because for early-37 I see some variation of the 7 and E but overall the characters seem to be divided into the abovementioned two categories.

AIso each man could have recorded the BNs and/or SNs of engines he assembled so I can’t see why they would need their own set of unique SN stamps.

Anyway, does anyone have examples of 35–39 production model SNs they think are authentic but with all characters that are not the usual factory types? If so can you please post partial photos. Thanks.
                      Eric

Comment

Previously posted, Folks.

3637VIN3.jpg

...Cotten
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I find 37U3714 intriguing because the sequence 7 appears to have a long serif although its back is the type I’d expect at that stage of numbering. And the 1 appears to be the type used for early-37 as opposed to later-37.

In 37EL1128 the 7 has a long serif which was apparently normal at that stage of numbering. But it seems that while SNs overall were still being done with early-37 characters the serif on the 7 became shorter.

Also I think the E above looks the same as the E in 37EL1128. Both Es appear to be more pronounced at the top than at the bottom and their horizontal strokes appear to be of three different lengths.

The next E looks more even and the top and bottom horizontal strokes look the same length as each other while the centre stroke appears shorter. But this SN overall was done with early-37 characters and it even has a 7 with a long serif.

Most changes for later-37 are demonstrated above but I’ll add W and D to the list. Like the L, for early-37 the W and D were seriffed but for later-37 they changed to sans serif.
                          Eric

Comment

Working...
                          X