Knucklehead Rocker Lower Tins Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knucklehead Rocker Lower Tins Question

I looked in Palmer’s 2nd edition (I don’t have 3rd yet) and didn’t find an answer.
    Im sorting out the intake and exhaust lower tins for both a 39 build and a 47 build.
    My question is that I’ve noticed a difference on the “rabbit ear” end where there’s a step in the stamping. It’s only on two of the couple dozen lowers that I have.
    Whats the deal with that and what’s the application of the stepped style.
    Thanks
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

I believe that the ones with the step are the over the counter ones that were available for replacement of the troublesome 36-37 baby jar covers . I am not sure on this or why the step but I believe I read that somewhere. I do know that I have used ones with and without the steps on many heads without issue.
    Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobphd View Post
      I believe that the ones with the step are the over the counter ones that were available for replacement of the troublesome 36-37 baby jar covers . I am not sure on this or why the step but I believe I read that somewhere. I do know that I have used ones with and without the steps on many heads without issue.
      Bob
      Bob The step tins were used to retrofit the later tins to the early heads. I also think early 1938 used the late 37 type head and would have also needed the step tins. Jerry

Comment

Ok, thanks for the replies guys.
        So they’re all interchangeable and usable on any year head?
        Mark
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

The stepped tins are for 36-39 heads, but will work on later heads, but the later non stepped will not work on the early heads.
          Carl
          http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Can someone post pictures please?

Comment

Thanks Carl and Jerry for the info. If the picture works it shows stepped and non stepped covers.
              Bob
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

So just to be clear, stepped covers never came on a new bike from the factory. They were just used when retrofitting the new style of cover onto 1936-1938 heads?
                Mark
                Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Olsen View Post
                  The stepped tins are for 36-39 heads, but will work on later heads, but the later non stepped will not work on the early heads.
                  Carl
                  The stepped tins will work on the 36-38 heads without fin modification?

Comment

According to shop Dope 172 Jan 20, 1938 , 36 and 37 heads need to be ground for clearance when installing the 38 type covers. According to Carl the 38 and 39 heads also need the stepped covers and I assume he is correct and there must be a difference in the “rabbit ears” on the head castings. I cannot tell on my 36 or 39 if they have the stepped covers as they are assembled running motorcycles, but I also assume that the 39 has the original covers it came with and the 36 probably the covers that were fitted when it was modified who knows when . Only if the covers were damaged would I have replaced them and if I did I did not know about the step difference and don’t remember yesterday let alone 10 plus years ago. Anyway , this is an interesting topic and I have learned something , I think.
                    Bob
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by bobphd View Post
                      According to shop Dope 172 Jan 20, 1938 , 36 and 37 heads need to be ground for clearance when installing the 38 type covers. According to Carl the 38 and 39 heads also need the stepped covers and I assume he is correct and there must be a difference in the “rabbit ears” on the head castings. I cannot tell on my 36 or 39 if they have the stepped covers as they are assembled running motorcycles, but I also assume that the 39 has the original covers it came with and the 36 probably the covers that were fitted when it was modified who knows when . Only if the covers were damaged would I have replaced them and if I did I did not know about the step difference and don’t remember yesterday let alone 10 plus years ago. Anyway , this is an interesting topic and I have learned something , I think.
                      Bob
                      Bob Later 38 and 39 heads do not need the step tins. Jerry

Comment

Working...
                      X