No announcement yet.

bead blast or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe that vapor honing uses any sort of blast media. On the parts done with vapor honing that I have seen, there was no change in "texture" to any of the parts (including cases). To me, it looks like the optimal method to achieve the cleanest possible parts, but checking the procedure with the person who will be doing it would confirm how and with what will be used by that particular person. Just so there's no misunderstanding and an unwanted finished result. Hope this helps......Smitty

Comment

I thought vapor honing was the process that used dry ice as the media. If so it leaves no residue nor does it damage anything. I remember being involved when it was used to clean a 440 volt substation. It did not even damage the insulation on the heavy cables. Pretty impressive. Just vacuum up what the blasting media removed.

Comment

In spite of all the cleaning systems just discussed, I still prefer scrubbing in a sink with common household cleansers and warm/hot water

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
          In spite of all the cleaning systems just discussed, I still prefer scrubbing in a sink with common household cleansers and warm/hot water
          Is that not always the final step anyway, Larry?

Blasting, no matter the media, is a labor-saving device, preparing surfaces before the final scrub.

Obviously, a "restoration" cannot be treated the same as a "conservation".

So what's in style with the judges?

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-15-2022, 11:14 AM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yes Vapor Hone uses abrasive (glass bead or Ceramic and others), In simple terms its like a pressure washer with media in the jet stream. Eliminates dust and cleans the part. I don't know what the Judges say but it is clearly not the same finish as "when it left the factory"

Comment

We all know exactly what they looked like fresh, right Folks?

Its been nearly two decades since I played with cases, but I still play with aluminum carb bowls, and faking it is still faking it.

(Its harder when the judging customer can hold the work in the palm of his hand and focus, believe me!)

If your motorcases do not need a lot of special attention, and pre-prep, and de-prep,.. ...

They must be NOS.

....Cotten
              PS: Yes, I coat inside of bowls, where prudent for other reasons.
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-15-2022, 02:05 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

I guess, (since there seems to be differing opinions) that checking with the person performing the service would eliminate any doubt prior to (possibly) an undesired result. Pressure washing with some (any) kind of blast media sounds like the often seen ads for the Dustless Blasting machines on TV. I believe that ANY blast media would not be needed with the right VAPOR and pressure. That would be the whole point of selecting this method. Ask Questions first! .......Smitty

Comment

From Vapor Hone web site.

VAPOR HONING
                  Is a process that propels pressurized air mixed with abrasive and water at a surface to clean or prep for paint. Also known as hydro blasting, wet blasting, aqua blasting, slurry blasting, liquid honing, and vapor blasting.

Abrasive added...

Comment

Nobody's going to bring up ultrasonic cleaners, Folks?

(I wasn't impressed either.)

.....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                    X