Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Fork Help

Hi all,
    Hope I can explain my concerns properly. The part numbers are from "Parts Catalog 1936-48 Big Twin Models".
    When assembling the forks on my 40 EL I noticed that the outter (middle) of the "spring rod bushing"doesn't sit down onto the fork, about a 1/8" gap, the bottom of the bushing is seated in place.
    Is this correct or am I missing something ( mentally os physically ) ? Are these the right bushings? I see in the parts book threr is a 1931 - 45 bushing #2632-31 and a 1946-48 bushing #14007-45.
    The next thing I don't understand is the "top inner springs" #2622-30 don't seat down over the top of the bushings. Is this correct?
    Thank you all in advance for any help or advise.
    Rod #25781

​​​​​​​

DSCN0010.JPG

Comment

Bushings sitting proud is normal. It was to allow them to float and tip to keep self centered under flex. The inner springs are basically restrictors for extreme travel and do not fill the entire space, exceptions being lower inners for Sidecar or Servi-Car use which are longer.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you for explaining this Rubone.
        I asumed this but wasn't sure as it doesn't look like there would be enough risistance to force grease through the small holes in the bushings to the rods. Guess I was over thinking this.
        Thanks again,
        Rod #25781

Comment

Working...
        X