Front wheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front wheel question

I have a 1947 FL and when the bike is on the lift with the front wheel in the vise, there is a little bit of movement or play at the wheel hub. I noticed it when I was holding onto the handlebars while I was strapping the bike to the lift. I'm guessing there is too much end play in the wheel hub? Has anyone else had this?

I'm guessing there is too much end play in the wheel hub? Has anyone else had this?
    Yes, everyone with a star hub wheel. The end play and roller fit are regular maintenance and wear items to keep up with. If there is a rocking motion it is most likely bearing fit.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post

Yes, everyone with a star hub wheel. The end play and roller fit are regular maintenance and wear items to keep up with. If there is a rocking motion it is most likely bearing fit.
      Thank you Rubone for the reply. The motorcycle is a restored bike with only 8 miles on it since the restoration. I'm going to have to take that hub apart and see what loose.

Comment

Originally posted by projectstarter View Post

Thank you Rubone for the reply. The motorcycle is a restored bike with only 8 miles on it since the restoration. I'm going to have to take that hub apart and see what loose.
        Is it an OEM or aftermarket hub? Some replacement types are set up wrong when new.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

It's an OEM wheel and hub with stainless spokes.

Comment

Restored doesn't always mean that everything on the bike was restored. A lot of times it means that sheetmetal , the motor and transmission have been rebuilt and restored. It's always a good idea to give everything a once over. Even from trusted sellers.

Comment

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
              Restored doesn't always mean that everything on the bike was restored. A lot of times it means that sheetmetal , the motor and transmission have been rebuilt and restored. It's always a good idea to give everything a once over. Even from trusted sellers.
              The wheels have definitely been rebuilt, I think someone overlooked something when the put it back together. I just want to get it right so i can ride it.

Comment

Working...
              X