Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 knuckle oil pump

Hi,
    Friends i am restoring my 1947 knucklehead. I am from india. I think this is the only surviving knucklehead in india. This makes it very diffucult to get any spares and check for examples when restoring. Your support will be needed. Thanking you all in advance.
    I have a doubt on the oilpump i have. I would like to know if it would be correct for a 47.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

That is not a Knucklehead pump, it is Panhead pump used from '62-'64 with the large idler shaft. The body is the basic type used from late '54-'64 but the shaft change makes it '62 and later.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you so much Rubone

Comment

Shyam, in one of your other threads we mentioned volume one of Palmer’s second edition but I’m not sure if you have it or not? It contains pictures and info regarding oil pumps. Not all Knuckleheads had the same pump so are you sure the engine is 47? On the P and F forum you said the 47 has no engine number but that the belly numbers are 47. But what do the characters look like? Do they appear consistent with factory stamping for 47?
        Eric

Comment

Just between you and me, Shyam,...

It doesn't have to be "correct", if it is put together proper.

It can run fine, and we are here to help!

.....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-26-2021, 04:52 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

That pump's pressure (feed) gears are 50% thicker than any OEM knucklehead pump, and the largest of any iron pump; more volume and pressure.
            The Linkert Book

Comment

Hi Eric,
              yes the belly numbers are consistent, they are factory 47 stamping. I am restoring it to as close to original as possible. I am trying to get as many original parts as possible.
              The frame, fork, wheels, mudguards, speedo, tail lamp, headlight, horn, carburettor, cylinders, heads and many important parts are genuine Harley and period correct 1947. I am trying to get all hardware 1035cp. I don’t like the pankrised finish so all hardware will be cadium.
              i have restored my basket case 1946 UL i am attaching a few pics. Please let me know if you like the restoration.
              This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Hi Cotten,
                Thank you for the assurance. yes i do understand all of us here are to help each other and keep the sprit of vintage motorcycles alive.
                will need help as i mentioned earlier we don’t get anything in India for vintage harleys.
                thank you,
                regards,
                shyam.

Comment

Shyam The pump you need is used from mid 1945 through 1947. It can be a hard one to find. 1948 and 1949 panhead use a similar pump. Same casting but the pressure gear pockets are deeper for increased capacity. Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                    Shyam The pump you need is used from mid 1945 through 1947. It can be a hard one to find. 1948 and 1949 panhead use a similar pump. Same casting but the pressure gear pockets are deeper for increased capacity. Jerry
                    Hi Jerry,
                    I managed to find one on ebay. I was told it is correct for 1947.
                    I am attaching the pictures for reference.
                    Thank you.
                    This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by shyambiker View Post
                      Hi Eric, yes the belly numbers are consistent, they are factory 47 stamping. I am restoring it to as close to original as possible.

Thank you but how did you conclude the BNs are factory 47 stamping? Are you going by Palmer’s SE? The 2014 version of it has at least two problems regarding 1947 BNs and only one of them was fixed for the Jan 2015 revision.

As for the Flathead, it’s looking good but what’s going on with the rear axle? And is there something unusual about the rear brake operating lever (at the left side of the rear wheel)?
                      Eric

Comment

Hi Jerry,
                        I managed to find one on ebay. I was told it is correct for 1947.
                        I am attaching the pictures for reference.
                        Thank you.
                        That is the correct casting for late 1945 to 1949. I cannot see the depth of the pressure side gear pockets to determine if it is 1945 to 1947 or 1948/49.

Comment

Hi Jerry,
                          It's still in shipping.
                          Will check the depth and share as soon as I get it.
                          Thank you.

Comment

Hi Jerry,
                            It's still in shipping.
                            Will check the depth and share as soon as I get it.
                            Thank you.
                            I've run the 1948/49 pump on Knuckleheads no problem and you cannot tell once it is closed up. Jerry

Comment

Hi Guys
                              interesting Topic, i am looking to restore my 47 knucklehead, but now my oil pump has installed one 1950 pump cover, not correct but and run well.
                              my idea is to replace the cover with one original code 682-41 but i not understand if the Rotor 687-41C is necessary or not.
                              i have read on other forum that is possible to install this cover without rotor, it's TRUE ?

From Palmer and Services manual 40-47 Big Twin is indicated like necessary, but the pump can work without this ?

Thanks a lot for your support
                              Enrico

Comment

Working...
                              X