Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the plate with#s (date code ? ) on original cylinders

Hi there,
    the plate with#s (date code ??) is attached on original cylinders.. please tell me how to read this so you can tell exact year and month .... right?
    I am looking for original cylinders for 46 knuck so.... what the plate should say? tks Shin

image0.jpeg

The letters (L,K, etc) are the month, the first set of digits is the day of the month, the second one is the year. None of those is '46, most '46 will be dated in late 1945 or very early 1946. Sometimes the letter is around the corner from the day/year plate.
    And then there are 61" or 74" cylinders.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

thanks Rubone! so K is November L is December right? the right cylinder is 1938 November 25th.... the middle one is 1952 December 14th...

Comment

The cylinders were produced by Motor Castings Company and the letter I was skipped for date codes on cast-iron pieces. K 25-8 indicates casting on Oct 25, 1938.

Middle cylinder looks Panhead and the combination of four things in particular make me think it was cast on Nov 14, 1952 as opposed to Nov 14, 1962. Other photos would probably reveal at least two more things. It appears to be a 74ci model.

Cylinder at left also looks Panhead and appears to have been cast on the 21st day of an unknown month in either 1951 or 1961. I think it’s a 74ci model.
        Eric

Comment

If you are restoring your bike for AMCA judging reproduction parts are allowed on a restored machine. As long as it is the best reproduction allowed. V Twin has very nice reproduction cylinders with meaningless date codes on them. They do have the MCC logo.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
          X