Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&S flywheel

Hi
    I just pull this flywheel off 46FL knucklehdad.
    can anyone tell this is stock or stroker ? and please how do you ID,
    2021-05-24 12.23 (2).jpeg2021-05-24 12.23 (1).jpeg

tks
    Shin

This information used to be available in an S&S catalog. Sorry but I do not remember how to decipher that number. Maybe call S&S Tech Support. Judging by the location of the wristpin I would guess not.

Jerry

Originally posted by hdhikaru View Post
    Hi
    I just pull this flywheel off 46FL knucklehdad.
    can anyone tell this is stock or stroker ? and please how do you ID,
    2021-05-24 12.23 (2).jpeg2021-05-24 12.23 (1).jpeg

tks
    Shin

Comment

Shin, the measurement between the shaft centers is 1/2 of the stroke. It is easy to tell. Standard H-D stroke is 3-1/2" for EL, 3-31/32" for FL.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

14E is a 1936-54 big twin roller bearing flywheel in 3-31/32" (FL) stroke and 8-1/2" diameter.
        The Linkert Book

Comment

If it has confusing or no markings, measuring between the shaft center and pin center X 2 is correct, but the exact center is tough to find if the shafts are still in, and it's a bit vague if they're not.

Another way:
          1. measure from the outside of both tapers and inside of both tapers
          2. add them
          3. equals stroke
          The Linkert Book

Comment

thank you guys! just checked the S&S they said its stock. I've never used S&S stuff before... what you guys think about S&S ? better than other bland like V-twin?

or better than the original? can expect good performance? tks Shin

Comment

The quality of S&S products is legendary, Shin!

But beware their flywheels have less mass.

This is better than 'stock' for a light machine desiring acceleration and a peaked powerband.

But suffers with a heavy payload (especially a sidecar, even stroked.)

,,,.Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

With the lightweight flywheels, you'll have to slip your clutch from the stop sign. I know this from shaving the flywheels on my big twin flathead 47 years ago. Nothing wrong with S&S. They've one heck of a reputation.

Comment

I do not care for S&S flywheels because they are steel and can be very hard to true and also as Cotten says they have less mass. S&S as a rule has good parts but I prefer stock or Truet&Osborne flywheels. That being said I have a stroked 47 knuckle with S&S but next time I would use T&O.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                    I do not care for S&S flywheels because they are steel and can be very hard to true and also as Cotten says they have less mass. S&S as a rule has good parts but I prefer stock or Truet&Osborne flywheels. That being said I have a stroked 47 knuckle with S&S but next time I would use T&O.

Jerry
                    They certainly take a different technique, no doubt, Jerry!

And my preferences are similar, but S&S wheels are still desireable, especially if you want to build a screamer.

Truing S&S wheels then made the new evos familiar to me, as neither could ever be tapped with a mallet, or it would just spring back out-of-true the opposite direction, and then spring back where it was if tapped the other way. (Using a mallet is only a measure of one's lack of patience anyway, but I admit to it.)

Once I started lapping every taper between centers on the lathe, truing became much, much more rewarding.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                    X