Stand Catch, Tail Lamp & License Bracket Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand Catch, Tail Lamp & License Bracket Placement

Could anyone help me with the proper placement of the rear stand catch, tail lamp (boat tail) and license bracket for my 39 Knuckle project? I am using a new reproduction rear fender from Replicant and the mounting holes are not drilled. The catch stand mounting appears to correspond to the reinforcing bracket at the bottom of the fender, but I see nothing to guide me on where to drill the holes for the tail light and license bracket to mount. These are all easy enough to center horizontally, but what would the the measurement up from the bottom of the fender for these, or is there another method, such as a transfer pattern? Please see the attached picture. Thanks, Bob
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Hi Bob,
    The bottom (lower) tail lamp mounting hole is the one in the center of the rear tip to front fender section attachment bracket shown in your picture. According to my measurements the center line of this hole to the center line of the two top tail lamp holes is 2 3/16" (you must confirm this by checking it against you tail lamp). It looks like the catch holes are laid out for you in the reinforcement shown in your picture. However if you need additional information here's what I have.
    I used a cloth sawing measuring tape laid against the inside of the fender tip. Here's what I got:
    Bottom of fender tip:
    to lower (1st) catch hole = 3 1/16"
    to 2nd catch hole = 5 1/16"
    - This is 2" center to center and matches a catch I have in my spares.
    Bottom of fender:
    to 1st tail lamp hole = 6 7/16" - this is the hole in the center of the bracket in your picture
    to center line of the two top tamp lamps holes = 8 5/8"
    - you should confirm the distant between to lower and upper tail lamp holes by measuring your tail lamp.
    Here's some poor quality photos:
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Sorry Bob. All the information I supplied was for the 36 - 38 rear fender section. I forgot that 39 uses the next generation tail lamp. I don't have one of those unmounted to measure. I do have a couple examples on assembled bikes but I don't think I can measure it with the accuracy you need.

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Thanks, Steve. I will continue my research. Bob

Comment

Bob, these measurements are from an original '39 fender. All measurements are center to center of the holes. Starting at the bottom, the first hole for the stand catch is 3 inches from the bottom. The next hole for the stand catch is 2 inches from the first hole. The next hole is the lower tail light base which is 1 3/8 inches from the upper stand catch hole. This hole goes through the brace. The next hole is for the upper tail light base and it is 2 1/2 inches from the lower tail light base hole. The license plate bracket holes are 1 5/8 inches from the upper tail light base hole. Hope this helps.
          Dave

Comment

Very much appreciated, Dave. Those measurements for the stand catch holes and lowest tail lamp hole match the holes in the reinforced areas of the fender. The upper tail lamp mounting hole license plate bracket mounting holes are now, thank to your information, easily located. Bob

Comment

Working...
            X