Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1938 knucklehead handling with 16in wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been riding it around without any issues and was thinking why I am so concerned? must be all the bad things that you hear is the reason I posted. It's always nice to get input from the great knowledge in this group. Thanks Carl.
    Todd
    Last edited by 55tmm; 09-12-2022, 09:44 AM.

Comment

In my experience, the steering will be a bit quicker.

Comment

Carl"s right. When we boys in SoCal in the late 60's and early 70's didn't know a bull neck from a regular knucklehead frame and an inline from an offset (who cared then we were just chasing dollies at the drive-in) most the '47's were bullnecks and we built them from baskets so than a few got inlines on them. Yes, they were lower and way later when "informed" riders knew the difference they wondered why so many bullkneck frames were so scraped up out front below the sidecar mounts. Go figure. They sure did handle well though with that little bit of rake.Oh so much fun being incorrect!
        DrSprocket

Comment

I have a 1945 FL that at one time had a late 47 frame, unswept forks and 16s. In my opinion it handled fine but sat just a little lower which made getting on or off the lift or getting a jack under it a task. Also it seemed that because of the 30 degree neck the handlebars sat a little different and would hit my left knee when trying to make a sharp left turn while my foot was working the clutch. I assume the bars were changed along with the rake but I’m not sure on that one. Hope that helps.

Comment

IMG_3337.JPEG
            I know everyone likes pictures, I'm just going to ride it the way it is, and yes, fun to be incorrect sometimes.
            Thanks for the replies

Comment

Working...
            X