47 Knucklehead broken front motor mounts

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • shinedogg
    replied
    I think its Chevy Starter shims that you can still get in different thicknesses and right bolt hole width. Might be Ford though, but I'm a BowTie Guy.

    Leave a comment:


  • underwel
    replied
    Originally posted by 41craig View Post
    Eric; When you get your cases back from the welder/machinist, bolt the cases together with the top left case bolt and 1 or 2 of the aligning studs on the rear. Then set the empty cases in your frame and bolt the rear mount to the frame as if you were bolting the engine in for good. Then take a feeler gauge and slip it in between your front motor mounts on the motor and the frame. This will let you know if you need any shims and what size shims to place in between the motor and frame. Any difference between the frame and front motor mounts is usually what causes the front mounts to break.
    Craig
    Thanks so much for the advice!

    Leave a comment:


  • ihrescue
    replied
    Originally posted by 41craig View Post
    This will let you know if you need any shims and what size shims to place in between the motor and frame. Any difference between the frame and front motor mounts is usually what causes the front mounts to break.
    Craig
    Excellent advice Craig.

    Leave a comment:


  • 41craig
    replied
    Eric; When you get your cases back from the welder/machinist, bolt the cases together with the top left case bolt and 1 or 2 of the aligning studs on the rear. Then set the empty cases in your frame and bolt the rear mount to the frame as if you were bolting the engine in for good. Then take a feeler gauge and slip it in between your front motor mounts on the motor and the frame. This will let you know if you need any shims and what size shims to place in between the motor and frame. Any difference between the frame and front motor mounts is usually what causes the front mounts to break.
    Craig

    Leave a comment:


  • underwel
    replied
    Thanks everyone for all the comments. I contacted Roeder (about 2 hour drive from me), they said they could do it. Hoping to take the engine up there in December.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rubone
    replied
    (Meanwhile,..
    Anybody notice something peculiar about my rockerbox?)
    Nah, Looks like all the rest with no fittings....

    Leave a comment:


  • T. Cotten
    replied
    Jump on it, Eric!

    (Meanwhile,..
    Anybody notice something peculiar about my rockerbox?)

    ...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-26-2019, 04:43 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry Wieland
    replied
    Eric

    Not in Ohio but I have used Advanced Cycle Machining in Superior, Wisconsin a few times and had really good experience. 715 392-5795. Quick turn around too. Dan is thinking about retiring so like Cotton says get it done now. I am trying to break in a couple of younger guys but they are not ready yet. Lord knows I have enough busted up cases for them to practice on.

    Jerry


    Originally posted by underwel View Post
    Good Morning,
    I have a 47 FL Knucklehead engine with both front motor mounts missing some chunks. Does anyone know a shop in Ohio that could repair these?
    Thanks,
    Eric

    Leave a comment:


  • T. Cotten
    replied
    I should have stood on my head.

    ....Cotten

    Leave a comment:


  • Rubone
    replied
    He is talking front case mounting holes, and yes, they are aluminum.

    Leave a comment:


  • T. Cotten
    replied
    Originally posted by larry View Post
    Aluminum, no?
    Come to think of it, Larry,...

    I have a hard time with those pics too.

    But if the motormount ears on Knuckleheads were aluminum, I never could have fixed any.

    Is that the center bolt flange to the rocker cover?

    ....Cotten
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-24-2019, 04:03 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • larry
    replied
    Aluminum, no?

    Leave a comment:


  • T. Cotten
    replied
    Don't look bad, Eric!

    But better fix them before the skilled pass on.

    Nobody local left here.....

    ...Cotten
    PS: ....I suggest piston rings for filler rod.
    (Peen every "bead".)
    Silicon Bronze is really hard to dress.
    Silversolder is great for cosmetic filler, and re-attachments.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-24-2019, 02:16 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • JoJo357
    replied
    Hi Eric,
    Try George 'Geo' Roeder. Or--he'll have a line on someone that could repair it locally.
    Good Luck.



    *M.A.D.*
    Last edited by JoJo357; 10-24-2019, 12:45 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • aumick10
    replied
    I use my phone for any photos I take.
    Download to lap top.
    Occasionally the photos will rotate when uploaded.
    I have to go back to the lap top, rotate the photo and save, rotate the photo back and save.
    Then upload the photo again, It usually comes out correct.
    Annoying glitch somewhere in the process.

    Leave a comment:

Working...