Generic Question About Knuckle Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic Question About Knuckle Heads

I am going to ask a generic question about the Knuckle Head population.

Some will say or many will say, the most prized era of HD, is to have is one from the Knuckle Head era.

We all know when it comes time to putting a price on something it can be an open-ended question, is the price right, or is it too high or too low.

Will the market bear what I am asking or am I way out in left field.

Is it all original?

What year is it?

What model is it?

What options does it have?

Has it been bastardized?

Does it run?

Are the numbers right?

Etc.

Maybe I already know the answer due to the fact I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

So it is worth at least $20,000?

Or

One is found, it doesn't run, it is half there, but the numbers are right. Is it worth $10,000?

Or just, if you wants one bad enough you will pay what ever.

And again this can go for any year or model. Knuckle, Pan, Shovel, Evo........

Just curious what thoughts others have about this.

Chip

Well, Chip...

Buyers don't scratch their chins and kick tires as much when its offered right in front of them, at a firm, but reasonable price.

Somebody's got to want it more than you, right?

Or you wouldn't be thinking about it so much.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
      Well, Chip...

Buyers don't scratch their chins and kick tires as much when its offered right in front of them, at a firm, but reasonable price.

Somebody's got to want it more than you, right?

Or you wouldn't be thinking about it so much.

....Cotten
      Hey Cotten,

It was nice meeting you in Davenport, definitely a lot of stuff was there.

It's funny and I realize that different years, option, etc. can be worth more but holy smokes.

One Knuckle at the show had a price tag of $65K and another one had a price tag of $32K. Double the price.

I am by means no expert, that is a BIG difference.

But I am sure there is some price point that one can say, "they all are worth at least that much".

Chip

Comment

Personally, to me, none of them are worth that much. But I don't care about fad driven stuff, celebrity driven stuff, or any of that other bullshit. I have been a Knuckle guy since I was a kid, I have walked away from them and come back several times. The prices drive me away, but then I find some deal and come back. In the last 50 years I have never been without at least one. Would I pay today's prices? No, I've never had that kind of disposable income. But by educating myself, being persistent and dogged, I have been able to be part of what I love (albeit a piece at a time!). Any more?? I don't know, I am about done with this whole hobby, the money is out of reach, the personalities rub me wrong, the attitude completely sucks. All the fun is leaving it for profit.
        Like all things, price depends on correctness, history, rarity, and the seller being in the right place at the right time.
        Repop stuff will never bring top value
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          Personally, to me, none of them are worth that much. But I don't care about fad driven stuff, celebrity driven stuff, or any of that other bullshit. I have been a Knuckle guy since I was a kid, I have walked away from them and come back several times. The prices drive me away, but then I find some deal and come back. In the last 50 years I have never been without at least one. Would I pay today's prices? No, I've never had that kind of disposable income. But by educating myself, being persistent and dogged, I have been able to be part of what I love (albeit a piece at a time!). Any more?? I don't know, I am about done with this whole hobby, the money is out of reach, the personalities rub me wrong, the attitude completely sucks. All the fun is leaving it for profit.
          Like all things, price depends on correctness, history, rarity, and the seller being in the right place at the right time.
          Repop stuff will never bring top value
          Robbie, i couldn't agree more. My experience is similar to yours. Especially the persistence, perseverance, teaching myself, learning from the men who came before me and one a piece at a time.
          Last edited by Steve Swan; 09-12-2019, 10:29 PM.
          Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
          https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

I love knucleheads and owned a '37, and a '41. I had fun with them, but a fair share of misery as well, which all motorcycles are prone to give. Chip, I can only say that you should go for your dream. If it's a knuck, then save your kopeks and look for a good one. However, I have never ridden a motorcycle that wasn't fun and that has to be your goal. Very few people in this grand hobby of ours have made money at it, and when there is a profit to be made, it's usually one asshole selling a motorcycle to another asshole. Passion is what drives this obsession, but money is undeniably a big part of the equation. I always lose money on the bikes I have, but I don't care. I love the bikes, I love the process, and I love the people I have met that feel the same way as me. Personally, I like early Harleys way more than knucks.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Chips Place View Post
              I am going to ask a generic question about the Knuckle Head population... .. Will the market bear what I am asking or am I way out in left field...
              I take it you're past the "dream" stage, Chip?

They are all like buckets o' chicken: Pieces 'n' parts.

....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-13-2019, 05:08 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
              X