Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 Knucklehead basket case rustoration

Please help me!
    I have the springer front end mounted in the frame.
    My dilemma: the inside of the forks measure at 71/2" & the width of the aftermarket fender is 71/2". the paint on the tins is precious as it was put on by a dear friend who passed and left me his baby.
    He even got to the point of bending the front fender to accommodate his freshly painted factory two tone paint job.
    I got it in last knight but it rubs one leg & has 1/4" clearance on the other...WTF??
    What a hassle!
    Are the aftermarket fenders that incorrect? Are the forks at 71/2" opening incorrect?
    Bobby

Hey Bobby
    My experience on knucks is nil but I will mention this for any of the younger guys -all mock up needs to be done before painting ! I understand you inherited the bike just teaching some younger folks....

Yes in my experience after market fenders can be any kind of bad !But being the bike is 72 years old that was the cheapest/easiest option.

I can't understand 7.5 going into 7.5 and having a 1/4 inch play - forks could be cocked or he bent the fender too much on one side................ gonna need pics

take parellel measurments down the legs and see if forks are square -if needed measure and mark
    but with that fender in there it will complicate measurements

There is a wealth of info here so you will get straight I am sure ...Sorry to hear of your friend what an awesome gesture !!
    "you gonna sit there and argue ......or FISH " Claude Leadbetter

Comment

Originally posted by fxcw64 View Post
      Hey Bobby
      My experience on knucks is nil but I will mention this for any of the younger guys -all mock up needs to be done before painting ! I understand you inherited the bike just teaching some younger folks....

Yes in my experience after market fenders can be any kind of bad !But being the bike is 72 years old that was the cheapest/easiest option.

I can't understand 7.5 going into 7.5 and having a 1/4 inch play - forks could be cocked or he bent the fender too much on one side................ gonna need pics

take parellel nts down the legs and see if forks are square -if needed measure and mark
      but with that fender in there it will complicate measurements

There is a wealth of info here so you will get straight I am sure ...Sorry to hear of your friend what an awesome gesture !!
      Hello Friend
      I did not get your name but thank you for your kind reply.
      Yes,I would never paint a pile of parts then put it together with out a "dry run mock up" but what I was gifted with is what I am trying to work with. According to my friends wife they rode that bike all over so I know he had it all together at one time.
      I will measure the forks in different point to check for straightness as you suggested but fear it is,the aftermarket fender causing all the angst.
      The journery continues.....I am actually doing a mock up for the CHP to get a title reissued as it has dropped of their data base.
      Besg Wishes
      Bobby

Comment

Bobby
        My name is Luke
        There are ways to check that fender as in make a stiff paper template and check over the top and the inner curvature or pick an area on fender and grind a piece of 20 gauge steel to make a gauge and set it on the fender taking time to grind it so it fits nicely then carfully check along the fender to see if it is true. If not-- have to figure out how to protect the paint and adjust it might have to make a jig and try and roll the edge that is out ---Or find a good metal fabricator/worker for bending shaping etc

So for the title here in Maryland I had to get a Writ of Mandamus-(same as for Divorce BUT instead of reconizing you as being divorced---- you are asking the state to reconize you as the new owner of the bike and no one has claim to it) you can download or copy one from online -pick a good one well written might find one that was originally for a motorcycle -just edit it for your information and vehicle and then serve the head honcho at the CHP or Moter vehicle admin. as well as you local circuit court get receipts for serving each ......... Cost me about 100$ and 2 months time

Mine WOM was for 37 Plymouth bought from an Estate and went thru multiple dealers that never took title and then the guy I bought it from also never took title ...SOOOO I am the second owner !!! -I have a brief history of the car - the first a little old lady from Virginia had to put blocks on the peddles to drive it !!!

Stick with it dont get frustrated it will be wort it.
        "you gonna sit there and argue ......or FISH " Claude Leadbetter

Comment

Hey Luke!
          Sounds like Maryland is as fun as CA....just different hoops!
          Glad you got through yours & thanks for the tips.
          A sheet metal person is a good place to ask for input if I wasn't so driven to keep my friends paint job...the bike will be dedicated to him as he rode it just couldn't make Sturgis from Cali. two up 'cause back cylinder would get hot. Then for some uknown reason he tore it completely apart.
          Bobby.
          Still struggling with posting pics from a Samsung phone!

Comment

Hey anybody have clearance issues with the rear head to frame on a 47?
            My wife nearly divorced me trying to get 2 bolts started last night. Ended up having to remove 2 small screws on the chrome covers to get in into place. that can't really be engineered that way!
            I could slide a folded piece of copy paper between the head and backbone woopee!!
            this thing will vibrate when running & bang on the backbone & seatpost all day...WTF?
            Bobby

Comment

Sounds like you may have an earlier frame (pre'40) as the later frames are indented for the head clearance on a 74" engine. Or your frame may be bent or previously poorly repaired.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                Sounds like you may have an earlier frame (pre'40) as the later frames are indented for the head clearance on a 74" engine. Or your frame may be bent or previously poorly repaired.
                Hey Rubone, Thanks for the ideas ...I have nicknamed it the Frankenstein 'cause I have no history on the pile of parts l inherited except his widow saying they rode it all over. I don't see obvious signs of motor frame pounding on each other which was a surprise. With all the frames available & the negative fitment feedback.
                Anybody recommendations?
                Bobby

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Witham View Post
                  Hey Rubone, Thanks for the ideas ...I have nicknamed it the Frankenstein 'cause I have no history on the pile of parts l inherited except his widow saying they rode it all over. I don't see obvious signs of motor frame pounding on each other which was a surprise. With all the frames available & the negative fitment feedback.
                  Anybody recommendations?
                  Bobby
                  Sorry Robbie thanks for replying.

Comment

If your head is hitting the seat post you have a frame that needs straightening. If it is hitting the backbone you probably have an earlier frame.

Jerry

Originally posted by Robert Witham View Post
                    Hey anybody have clearance issues with the rear head to frame on a 47?
                    My wife nearly divorced me trying to get 2 bolts started last night. Ended up having to remove 2 small screws on the chrome covers to get in into place. that can't really be engineered that way!
                    I could slide a folded piece of copy paper between the head and backbone woopee!!
                    this thing will vibrate when running & bang on the backbone & seatpost all day...WTF?
                    Bobby

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                      If your head is hitting the seat post you have a frame that needs straightening. If it is hitting the backbone you probably have an earlier frame.

Jerry
                      Jerry thanks for your help.. who has a good frame I could buy?
                      Bobby

Comment

Working...
                      X