No announcement yet.

How Many Knuckleheads still kicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is awesome Rollo !! Keep me in mind when you want one to have a good home LOL- I am in Maryland I could pick it up this weekend-- LMAOROTF ( in case some don't know that would be)---- laughing my ass off rolling on the floor

as this texting generation would text ......

But this was my original point even with the frauds there seem to still be a good number of Knucks out there not to mention a fair number going overseas !!

Question could the D.O.T have the answer thru registration of vehicles ??? And could it be accessed thru public information act ? But that could be erroneous as in someone parting out a bike but keeping the title or lost titles not to mention fake ones that were mentioned !!!
    "you gonna sit there and argue ......or FISH " Claude Leadbetter

Comment

Having always been a Knucklehead fan and not so much Panhead I always paid attention to Knuckles for sale. A few observations..
      Most Knuckles that survive are post war due to several factors. They were more plentiful due to increased production, they were not totally worn out and were sometimes parked forever leading to good examples of OP bikes, they were bypassed when the new Panhead came out. The bad is they were cheap and good chopper fodder so many ended up very heavily modified.
      Pre-war bikes were already used and had been passed over early on for newer models, were cheap, and were expendable.
      Immediate pre-war models were run into the ground as basic transportation during the war years, both by civilian and Police/Commercial use with '41s being the most common.
      I currently have a 41EL, a 42FL, and a 47FL.

Rubone,
      I thought 1947 was the year that H-D produced the most ?? hmmmmmm

I re read your post and saw that you had said post war regarding production -my bad.
      Last edited by fxcw64; 08-16-2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I am new here but the tally is at 9 with just Rubone and Rollo and that is just the begining of the letter ''R'' LOL

Any way if one of the high brass wanted to start a thread with a Knucklehead count that would be KOOL but someone would have to tally and eliminate the possibility of duplication as well !! Honer system would rule or each poster could verify with a witness AMCA member and #

Any statisticians on this site .......... I am gonna bet Wisconsion or Pennsylvania has the most maybe Cali in the top 5 because of Population and the ANGELS!! I could see Knuckleheads mysteriously migrating to Oakland ,Cali

Pics would be awesome but that is asking a lot !

Also there is a pic PRG posted on this thread with 10 so we are now at 19 knucks haha ! But the "ones" in the pic are not official until verified someone could verify and would need an identifier (engine # or something) so as not to duplicate !!

This could be fun !!
        Last edited by fxcw64; 08-15-2019, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fxcw64 View Post
          Question could the D.O.T have the answer thru registration of vehicles ??? And could it be accessed thru public information act ? But that could be erroneous as in someone parting out a bike but keeping the title or lost titles not to mention fake ones that were mentioned !!!
          I know of more bikes in collections that are not registered or licensed that I do of licensed bikes. Like John Bergen's collection of every year knuck none of them are currently registered. I have four Kuncks in my own garage that aren't registered. Plus a JD, couple Pans, Shovels, and newer stuff.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
            I know of more bikes in collections that are not registered or licensed that I do of licensed bikes. Like John Bergen's collection of every year knuck none of them are currently registered. I have four Kuncks in my own garage that aren't registered. Plus a JD, couple Pans, Shovels, and newer stuff.
            That answers that thanks Chris. Interesting ...

So Chris that would add 12 plus your 4 puts us at 35 !!!! Kinda feel like Jerry Lewis on MS telethon weekend on labor day

Jerry -" Hey Ed give me the NUMBER whats the tote up too " LOL

Rollo do I need to hook a trailer to my pick up LOL-

have a great weekend all !!!

Comment

I can't say how many knuckles are still alive and running out there but it has to be in the thousands as I have probably seen that many different ones over the last 50 plus years. As Chris says there are many, many, knuckles in collections that never see the light of day. We have at least 6 more in our little AMCA chapter besides mine that I know of. I know of probably another dozen or more in NC not to mention what Dale and Mat have at WTT. I know the guy that owner a cleaning and damage restoration business has one of every year and in some case multiples. Bottom line is there are way more that just a few out there and with replacement case and bogus cases probably more that were ever produced but the factory. JMHO. I know you are kidding about the trailer deal but my knuckles are the last things I would get rid of and don't even think about a midnight visit. It wouldn't work out well!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
              AMCA #12766

Comment

Steve

It would have to be some one with utmost integrity,honesty and time to compile,organize probably by state the data ! Also the person should probably be an AMCA judge as to not have the wool pulled over on him and have a real working knowledge of counterfit numbers and what to look for .....

Luke

Comment

I think you just described Superman
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Steve

It would have to be some one with utmost integrity,honesty and time to compile,organize probably by state the data ! Also the person should probably be an AMCA judge as to not have the wool pulled over on him and have a real working knowledge of counterfit numbers and what to look for .....

Luke
                    You certainty don't need to be a judge in order to be knowledgeable about numbers.
                    Be sure to visit;

Comment

Here's a couple more. The gray 1945 and the green 1938 on the cover of Bruce Palmer's books are titled, licensed, and ridden.
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                        You certainty don't need to be a judge in order to be knowledgeable about numbers.
                        Chris
                        Well my grandaughter knows her numbers so what parameters would you prefer -someone who has seen counterfit numbers and has been in a role inspecting bikes AND represents the AMCA or some one like me who knows nada about how the 7 or 5 should look stamped on the crankcase of a Knucklehead- I have read on this board people commenting about counterfit stampings.

And the point of doing such a tally would be to do it accurately -but if your point is their are people here knowledgeable enough and are not AMCA judges that could do it--I believe you

Luke

My wife has volunteered to make an excel spreadsheet if needed but still need verification before data is entered.

I took pics of 4 today at Old Glory HD and have their numbers but may not have all the owners but could find that info out !

Comment

[QUOTE=fxcw64;183075]And the point of doing such a tally would be to do it accurately -but if your point is their are people here knowledgeable enough and are not AMCA judges that could do it--I believe you

Luke

Spend a little time here and it will help you understand how to spot bad numbers.
                          http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/v/Numbers/
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

[QUOTE=Chris Haynes;183076]
                            And the point of doing such a tally would be to do it accurately -but if your point is their are people here knowledgeable enough and are not AMCA judges that could do it--I believe you

Luke

Spend a little time here and it will help you understand how to spot bad numbers.
                            http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/v/Numbers/

Thanks Chris H -I will check out !

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                              I based my reply on Excelsior, and Henderson production data that is still sketchy; despite the profound efforts of Bund/Turek. It seems that history only remembers the things that get into print, regardless of accuracy. For many years, and perhaps still, many people think H-D started in 1903. Herbert Wagner did exhaustive research to present better data that puts that date at (circa) 1905, but H-D has perpetuated the story of 1903 to the point that no one questions them. The bulk of knuckleheads were built in the '30s and I would bet that the real production numbers are only known by studying the complexities of engine, and line bore numbers. The true history of knuckleheads (and perhaps all H-Ds) was lost when AMF (and fate) chose to destroy the mountains of priceless documented factory production data. Again, Herbert Wagner wrote an incredible article about the Lang connection in our magazine a few years ago. He also wrote one of my favorite motorcycle books 'Harley-Davidson 1930-1941'. If you love Harleys, you need to have that book in your collection.
                              I added this book to my collection after reading your post. I found a copy on amazon for under 5 bucks. I started it last night and couldn't put it down! What a fantastic read! Thanks for the recommendation.
                              Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile....
                              -good ol GD

Comment

MMatt
                                Speaking of books I picked up Harley Davidson Knuckleheads by Field and am currently enjoying it !

Comment

Working...
                                X