M35 Linkert Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M35 Linkert Problem

I had my '47 FL judged awhile back knowing that it had an incorrect carburetor (M74B) and it did quite well. I'd now like to elevate its status past Junior 1st. So in the interest of correctness I found the correct M35 body, built up the carburetor and installed it on the bike. All needles, seats, float (Cotton), throttle shaft bushings, Peek manifold seals, gaskets, etc. were replaced. The float height is set to 1/4". Initial settings are 5 and 2 turns out which should be a little rich. The carb bore is smooth without any signs of gouging or eccentricity at the throttle disk area.

The bike always was and remains a 1-kick starter when cold. However, when it warms up, it intermittently kicks back through the carb at a medium idle with the choke at 1 click and kicks/stalls at normal idle speed indicating a lean condition. I bubble-tested the manifold as per Cotton and it's leak-free. The gas tank is half-full and the gas flows freely through the line when disconnected from the carb. Also, after re-installing the M74B, the motor runs correctly.

I'm no new-comer to rebuilding Linkert carburetors. However, I don't have much experience with M35's and this one has me a bit stumped. I'm thinking that it may be a defect in the brass casting as I've taken it apart twice, carefully examined the low speed circuit, but can't find the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bill Pedalino
    Last edited by billpedalino; 06-09-2019, 08:40 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Sorry but I must ask, Bill,..

You didn't use a tire or air mattress pump for the bubble-test, right?

Did you grind the carb and manifold flanges flat?

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Initial settings are 5 and 2 turns out which should be a little rich.
      A little rich ? Yes, no kidding, like politics are a little crazy.
      Start at low speed=3.5 turns, high speed=1.125
      M35 needles differ from M74 needles.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        Sorry but I must ask, Bill,..

You didn't use a tire or air mattress pump for the bubble-test, right?

Did you grind the carb and manifold flanges flat?

Cotton,
        Thank you for responding.

....Cotten
        Cotten,
        Yes, I always draw both flange across 400 grit paper placed on a thick glass plate until smooth. I use my shop compressor with a small inline regulator set to 14 psi. To test the regulator's capacity I briefly pump it up to a point where it strongly pushes past the intake valves and it holds at the set pressure. I then back it off to 14 psi and bubble test with Snoop. This is the setup that you suggested years ago and I use on all my carb tests and it works quite well.
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

That would seem to incriminate the M35, Bill,

(But if its an original brass '47 manifold, I would pull it and bench test at a full 15psi anyway.
          They are pretty cheesy sometimes, where you might not be able to see it.)

I'm not psychic, so I would have to be able to smell it in my own hands for any guesses.
          My philosophy is that tiny things add up, and only being fanatical has kept me in business.
          So even if the bore is pristine, there still shouldn't be daylight around the disc when fully closed, or around the venturi of course.

I agree with 1950Panhead's suggested needle settings, so air has got to be coming from somewhere.
          An un-lit propane torch might give clues while its idling, if you can get it focused at the ends of the throttleshaft, manifold flange, gallery plugs, etc.

.....Cotten
          Attached Files
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-13-2019, 06:15 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

Cotton,

I agree that the M35 is the culprit, as the M74B works fine with the settings around 3.5 and 1.5. I don't believe that the needle settings are the problem, as the problem reflects a lean condition. The manifold is an aftermarket but it's been tested on the machine several times at 14 (+) psi with both carburetors.

I have a friend (Rich Brown - H.D. Generator Service) who is sending me an assembled M35 which runs fine on his '46 EL, so I can confirm that it is the carb, although at this point I'm certain that it is. If the replacement carburetor runs well I'll probably disassemble my carb one more time, triple check the needles, disk-fit, throttle bushings, venture fit, and the machined slot (I still have no idea how Linkert machined that slot). If I can't find the problem, I'm going to look for another M35 body.

I purchased the correct, shorter low speed needle (27340-33) when I did the original assembly. However, I'm now second-guessing whether or not I received the correct one. The long and short needle tapers look identical, with the length appearing to be the only difference. I have to check, but I'm not certain that the later needle would work in the M35 body's choke assembly, but you would probably know that offhand.

Finally, I do have to check the main nozzle, although I suspect that is shouldn't affect the idle circuit. I believe that I should have P/N 27332-50, but I need to look at it and confirm.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Uh oh, Bill!

The -33 LS needle is for 1" Models.

At least we found the cause.

Glad it was something simple...

....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-14-2019, 09:08 AM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Cotton,
                I removed the low speed needle from the knob and it's length is 3.520". Therefore, it looks like it's the correct P/N 27336-27 and not as I previously stated.
                I really thought we had an Ah-Hah moment !
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

Poop.

(Can I say that?)

Times like this, Bill, I take everything back apart, and put it all back together,
                  and hope the gremlin jumps out.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Amen to that brother. You're correct and that's my plan exactly. Because I work away all week, I'm going to put the bike aside for a week or two until I can take a full day to remove the carb, disassemble it and really focus. I must have screwed something up - maybe a wrong part, incorrect or leaky venturi or main nozzle, maybe I honed the throttle bushings a little too much - who knows...
                    But a complete, systematic (and calm) re-do should hopefully ferret out the gremlin.

I'll report back after completing the Phase II rebuild.
                    Bill Pedalino
                    Huntington, New York
                    AMCA 6755

Comment

The worst possible scenario, Bill,

Is that it jumps out and you didn't see it.

But it comes back later to haunt you.

That's just another reason nobody, in their 'right mind', should do them for a living.

....Cotten
                      PS: What I really mean is.. yer lucky to be able to get away from these things for a week or two...
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-15-2019, 02:50 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Yes Cotten, I understand your position completely.

I'm in another profession now, but earned my living early-on by repairing Harley-Davidson for many years and you're certainly correct; I now have the luxury of walking away for awhile and regaining mental composure. Of course, whatever sanity I do regain is then sucked up by my current position. I guess it's kind of like conservation of energy....
                        Bill Pedalino
                        Huntington, New York
                        AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                        X