Is this a good SR# what do you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good SR# what do you think

Please View the attachment and let me know your thoughts? Real?

Not factory stamped.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

What gave it away? Open 4?

Comment

The 4 is wrong but so are the 2s, they are missing the serif. 5 is also wrong shape.
        Last edited by Rubone; 05-14-2019, 04:36 PM.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Pretty straight in a row with not crooked digits also.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Picture is too poor. Not wasting any more time on it.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

any other opinions? Belly Stamps are the same font....confusing to me. the 4s and 2s on the belly are the same

Comment

Originally posted by freestylegold View Post
                any other opinions? Belly Stamps are the same font....confusing to me. the 4s and 2s on the belly are the same
                I'm not well versed on VINs, Freestylegold,

But it appears to have an open-backed 4.
                I have seen them on belly numbers, but usually an open-top or completely closed 4 in VINs.

Certainly a Factory worker wouldn't have picked up the wrong stamp, because they were gods!

...Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Kurt, did you receive my PM?

As Cotten mentioned, the 4 appears to have an open back. And I cannot see a serif across its base. That 4, along with some of the other characters, suggests the SN is not authentic. If a 42 Knuckle SN was stamped at the factory then we’d usually see a certain type of closed-top 4 with a serif across the base.

In a 1942 Knucklehead BN, in the decade position, I'd expect to find a sans serif open-back 4.
                  Eric

Comment

Freestylegold: It's a home-made serial number. Purporting to be 1942, it won't even raise an eyebrow with motor vehicle registration authorities these days. All the exceptions noted above are correct. A neatly-done restamp with a modern counterfeit stamp set. MV authorities aren't that savvy to counterfeits of numbers that old. All they see these days are 17-digit car numbers. Anyone from DMV who might have caught on to that in the Seventies probably retired in the Eighties.
                    Last edited by Sargehere; 05-18-2019, 11:55 AM.
                    Gerry Lyons #607
                    http://www.37ul.com/
                    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                      Freestylegold: It's a home-made serial number. Purporting to be 1942, it won't even raise an eyebrow with motor vehicle registration authorities these days. All the exceptions noted above are correct. A neatly-done restamp with a modern counterfeit stamp set. MA authorities aren't that savvy to counterfeits of numbers that old. All they see these days are 17-digit car numbers. Anyone from DMV who might have caught on to that in the Seventies probably retired in the Eighties.
                      Sarge is psychic, Folks!

He not only can divine when the stamping occurred, but the minds and competency of your State's inspectors.
                      (Good thing they don't have Google, huh.)

The scenarios of a then-legal Dealership stamping of replacement cases could still apply.
                      "Late Issue" titles for constructed machines were common before outlawed (particularly for VLs through the War years when machines were scarce.)

If they didn't exist, why were they outlawed?

....Cotten
                      PS: A Factory worker would NEVER leave the block of stamps on the wrong bench. Ever. huh.
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-18-2019, 11:19 AM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

"Too Perfect" counts to those of us who have looked at these numbers for half-a-century, covering over a century, ALL hand-stamped by a MoCo assembler, and NEVER with a straightedge, like the sample. As to "when?" the perfect counterfeit numbers that was stamped with have been available for only about the last decade. And that serial is ALL the same, "restoration" stamp set, not quite the shapes of the numbers used 80 years ago.

All you have to do is put that prettied-up, modern fake next to a real 1942 number to see the obvious. made with currently-available, 21st Century counterfeiters' stamps. Ain't factory Cotten, no way, shape or how. And before you ask, that painted 1942 with the open-topped 4 (introduced in 1943) was built about 1945, so it's also good.
                        Last edited by Sargehere; 05-18-2019, 12:01 PM.
                        Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                          "Too Perfect" counts to those of us who have looked at these numbers for half-a-century, covering over a century, ALL hand-stamped by a MoCo assembler, and NEVER with a straightedge, like the sample. As to "when?" the perfect counterfeit numbers that was stamped with have been available for only about the last decade. And that serial is ALL the same, "restoration" stamp set, not quite the shapes of the numbers used 80 years ago.

All you have to do is put that prettied-up, modern fake next to a real 1942 number to see the obvious. made with currently-available, 21st Century counterfeiters' stamps. Ain't factory Cotten, no way, shape or how. And before you ask, that painted 1942 with the open-topped 4 (introduced in 1943) was built about 1945, so it's also good.
                          Sarge has Superman eyes, too, Folks!

Or has a clearer pic of the VIN in question been posted?

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Damn right, Dumpster! I'm Superman, with X-ray vision. I can click on the attachment to Post #1, then Ctrl+roll my mouse wheel on what appears to make the VIN on that motor fill my screen. It's a feature of the modern equipment I brought with me from Krypton years ago.
                            Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

It is strange how making integrated circuits smaller can make things bigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X