Which is it 4 hole or 5 hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is it 4 hole or 5 hole

WAS LOOKING AT SEVERAL 39 KNUCKS TO SEE IF THE SADDLEBAG MOUNTS WERE 4 HOLE OR 5 HOLE, THE BIKE I GOT FROM MY FRIEND, WHICH HE OWNED SINCE 1964 AND HIS DAD BOUGHT NEW, HAS THE 5 MOUNT SHOWN. I NOTICED THE OP 39 ON EBAY ALSO HAS 5 HOLE, BUT I HAVE SEEN SOME WITH 4 HOLE MOUNTS ALSO, THOUGHTS, THANKS LARRY

Larry, I believe you are good with the 5 hole plates. Actually, the early saddlebags had a flap that was part of the saddlebag to mount them to the fender. The plate was a dress up cover for the flap. They were sometimes mounted with the Glo-Brite reflectors. If you look in the 1937, 1941, and 1947 accessory catalogs you will see the 5 hole info. I just went through all this on a friend's 1938 U. Had to change from 4 hole to 5 hole. Maybe the 4 hole were aftermarket. Dave

Comment

Thanks dave, thats what i was thinking that the 5 hole was correct, since i have know this bike since the mid 50's and most of the 39's i see are 5 hole, thanks for the help, larry

Comment

Mike Paquette (Worsham Castle) has chimed in on this before and 5 hole until sometime in later 46 or early 47 then went to 4 hole from what I recall him posting. Do a search and it should turn up. I would say he is the authority on this and seats.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
        AMCA #12766

Comment

Working...
        X