Positioning of front fender light.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Guest
    Guest replied
    How should it look on a VL?

    Leave a comment:


  • gitguy
    replied
    Yes of course you are correct - 1948.

    Oops

    Leave a comment:


  • Rubone
    replied
    Here is how the wiring looks from under the fender. Hope this helps.
    That is how it looks on a '48, not how it looks on earlier bikes where the tube pierces the fender.

    Leave a comment:


  • gitguy
    replied
    fender light wiring.jpgfender light wiring 2.jpg

    Here is how the wiring looks from under the fender. Hope this helps.

    Leave a comment:


  • epazikas
    replied
    Hi Chris, thank you for sharing this picture. That is interesting because I know that the light installed in my bike came from a long time ago with it, I mean the light itself is original and the holes on the fender were quite old, visibly old, as I have recently repainted the motorcycle. My motorcycle doesn’t have, however the pipes under the front fender, for passing through the wiring. That explains that the lights were installed, at some time, but did not come straight from the factory as I see it. It doesn’t look bad at all the way it was done, as you can see on the picture yourself, but the position is evidently not the same. Thanks for sharing and I will learn along. At the end of the day, most important is to have these old motorcycles up and running and alive... Happy new year! Ed
    Attached Files
    Last edited by epazikas; 01-01-2019, 02:44 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • slamiste
    replied
    Perfect!

    Happy New Year!

    Leave a comment:


  • 1950Panhead
    replied
    Chris posted a factory photo.

    100_1494.jpg

    Leave a comment:


  • epazikas
    replied
    Originally posted by epazikas View Post
    Good morning Steve, I checked my motorcycles fender and the distance from the tip of the front fender to the tip of the parking light. You can see the attached pictures as well but the distance is of 17 centimeters or 6.69 inches. Let me know if any further assistance is needed and I would be happy to be in the loop of these installations you will be working on. Thank you! Ed
    Hi, it might be the case that my motorcycle parking light was installed latem on, that i can not say much, Herę się a picture of my motorcycle compared with anotjer one.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • ammorest
    replied
    I have 3 bikes in my shop with front fender lights. Two 1937 UL's and an original paint 1938 EL. All measure three and a quarter inches from the light to the edge of the fender.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by epazikas View Post
    Hello, well, I can not say much on this but I am the fourth owner of my motorcycle and this came installed from the beggining. What I know for sure is that this parking lights over the fender came from the time the bike was bought.
    But was it installed at the factory or the dealership?

    Here is a factory photo.


    As Robbie said it appears to be about 1 inch above the embossed part.
    Last edited by Chris Haynes; 12-29-2018, 11:43 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • slamiste
    replied
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment on this. The measurements and comments from Robbie and Eric match up with the installation on one of my other bikes. All the rest of my bikes or spare fenders are over the map as far as light location. Seems odd but who knows what all this stuff has gone through over time.

    Thanks again! This is a great group of people who have helped me on a number of issues.

    Steve

    Leave a comment:


  • Rubone
    replied
    The tubing is easily made from a section of 1/8" brake line, available in any good auto parts store.

    Leave a comment:


  • 41craig
    replied
    Ed; The tubing came with the NOS front fender lamp that I've had for years. Although I looked it up in the parts book and it does not show or list it. Colony does have the tube included in their front lamp mounting kit. ( I just had to make sure that I wasn't imagining it )
    Craig

    Leave a comment:


  • exeric
    replied
    My '48FL has a 1939 front fender that I put wide braces on. The fender light is positioned in existing holes, exactly as Robbie stated. I also come up with approximately 3.18" from front edge of fender to front tip of fender light.

    Leave a comment:


  • epazikas
    replied
    Hello Craig, hmmm...what you are saying makes sense...you are right but in my case I have this tubing you are mentioning about only on the rear fender, the front fender does not and I know the fender is original. Perhaps it could be the case that the parking lamp did not come with the bike and was then installed as a accessory .... I am not sure...but what you say makes sense. This is why I decided to install a rubber tubbing to the front fender, thus protecting the wiring. Ed

    Leave a comment:

Working...