No announcement yet.

Harley 1946-1947 Bullneck Frame for Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I can tell you is I found it all assembled, and it had set since 1970, which is the last registration sticker on the bike, and that the trans, cylinders, heads, all have correct castings, none of my doing, so Ive assumed that the frame is the one it came from the factory with.

Comment

Mark,
      The first half year or so used bullneck 47EL1000 to 47EL7000 or so
      47EL7000 to 47EL11650 or so used #12 Interstate or #12 Knopp
      47EL11650 to 47EL12650 or so used #13 Interstate
      These are very rough estimates, not accurate numbers
      47EL931x came with a #12 Knopp
      47EL6800 is near the transition from bullneck to #12 and could have either but did not come with a #13 Interstate.

Comment

Thank you both.
        Mark
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Something I have often thought about is the fact that any replacement part from H-D, including frames, were the last production items until they sold out or were made obsolete, in which case whatever superseded it was used as a replacement by the factory. One reason there are odd bits on many bikes. Pan fenders on Knuckles, odd frame/engine combos, etc. Just thinking about stuff...
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Great point, which does make these bikes more interesting as they now tell a story, or a clue, as to what happened. Which brings up a different question. Is it ethically good practice to "correct" the history of these bikes so that they are viewed more favorably by the club or future owners.....??

Comment

This bullneck frame is now for sale. I have located and purchased a very nice late 47 frame for my project.
              PM me if interested.
              Mark Masa
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark, your inbox won't accept messages.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie
                  Thanks for the heads up. I've deleted a bunch of old messages to make room.
                  Mark
                  Mark Masa
                  www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Frame for sale

This frame is now on eBay. It is less $$ if I sell it straight us and don't have to pay eBay fees.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264115348630
                    Mark Masa
                    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

This frame has been sold.
                      Thanks
                      Mark Masa
                      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                        There are two late type frames, with the U-U being the final version but likely higher than your VIN Mark. Mine is a U-U, but my VIN is over 12000.
                        same here, mine has UU and 13 on right side allso I believe,
                        Member # 29257

Comment

I have both a #12 Knopp and a #13 Interstate for my mid/late 1947 project (VIN is in the low 9000's)
                          From the below, it looks like the #12 Knopp is the frame that I should keep for this project.
                          I'm going to be selling the extra frame but obviously, I want to make sure that I don't regret it after the fact.
                          I've sent a PM to 1950Panhead to get more clarification on his post but haven't gotten a reply. I'm sure that he's MUCH MUCH more an expert on this topic than me, but would like to know more details about how this information was compiled.
                          So......
                          Can anyone else here verify and explain the below.
                          Thanks
                          Mark

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
                          Mark,
                          The first half year or so used bullneck 47EL1000 to 47EL7000 or so
                          47EL7000 to 47EL11650 or so used #12 Interstate or #12 Knopp
                          47EL11650 to 47EL12650 or so used #13 Interstate
                          These are very rough estimates, not accurate numbers
                          47EL931x came with a #12 Knopp
                          47EL6800 is near the transition from bullneck to #12 and could have either but did not come with a #13 Interstate.
                          Mark Masa
                          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

This is 47FL68XX as found. It has #13 interstate. This bike sat since 1972.IMG_2762 - Copy.jpg

Comment

Here is interstate 11 UU, maybe we should keep an open mind.fr.jpg

Comment

Just to add to the fun. I have a bullneck frame with Interstate number 11 die with UU on the neck almost exactly like the last photo. I am using this frame with 47FL3xxx that had a 1940 frame when I acquired it in early 2019. This frame also has UU on the left side of the top seat post support, directly behind the left wiring terminal.

All of the forging die numbers on this frame match to the Interstate row in the chart on page 49 of Palmer's second edition (page 51 third edition). It has the Interstate hallmark.

Enjoy...

Comment

Working...
                                X